Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS disc - opinions and help please

Article about: Hello! I got this disc about 20 years ago. It was according to the seller dug somewhere in the baltic states. I would appreciate any educated opinions on whether it is an original or not. Al

Guntech
    ?

Default SS disc - opinions and help please

Hello!

I got this disc about 20 years ago. It was according to the seller dug somewhere in the baltic states. I would appreciate any educated opinions on whether it is an original or not. Also if someone can decipher the unit markings.

Best Regards/Guntech
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS disc - opinions and help please   SS disc - opinions and help please  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: SS disc - opinions and help please

Well I don't see anything that immediately worries me, but I have absolutely no idea what SS-LAK/rA 5 is. I looked at all the SS units numbered 5 I could find and none seemed to fit. The marking is really weird too- it's the subunit (like a Kompanie) that comes before a slash, and in the case of SS units, the 'SS' is a formal part of the main unit, so properly comes after the slash. So I don't know- fakers do make up nonsense units from ignorance of what's real, but then they also don't usually choose units that are unrecognizable since they don't sell as well as the famous ones...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I have this one for comparison...
    Attached Images Attached Images SS disc - opinions and help please 

?

Well only a disc from the exact same unit is really a valid comparison Glenn- in the German military, virtually every unit had different discs. And that one you have there is a problem- did you buy it recently? It was shown last year and I didn't give it a good review: I have 4 id's that need checked for authenticity

Guntech
    ?

Thanks Matt for the information,

I hope of course that it is an original disc. As you said, why would a faker mark a disc with a unknown unit instead of a unit that would make the disc easier to sell? And this, 20 years ago, before internet caused the prices to go up... I also think that the patina is solid, no indications that the markings has been applied after the corrosion.

Well,I hope that I or someone eventually will find out what unit it is from. That is, if it´s a real and not a fake disc...

Best Regards/Guntech

?

Well they have been making fake Erkennungsmarken for a long time so age doesn't necessarily enter into it- the patina is a positive thing though, since I agree it doesn't look obviously fake nor is there any indication it's an old blank that was marked over. I went through my big-ass list of disc abbreviations and units reference and nothing worked though- and the main issue is still the odd unit marking and the seemingly misplaced 'SS'. Perhaps you should try the SS stuff section and maybe someone there can recognize the unit?