Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Dog Tag good or trash?

Article about: interesting also that the faker has gone to the trouble of having a single stamp made up for this 'unit'. I suspect a rash of these tags may be in the offing.

Default SS Dog Tag good or trash?

Alright, heres yet another SS ID tag up for debate. Opinions please! Thanks
    SS Dog Tag good or trash?SS Dog Tag good or trash?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dog Tag good or trash?
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Dog Tag good or trash?

I really know nothing about these, looks like a fantasy tag, and since it has SS on it I am going to say FAKE!!!!!

?

Why is it a fake ???
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Of Course it would have SS on it if it was an SS tag....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Well maximus is right that the vast majority of SS discs you're likely to see for sale are fakes- so it's a safe bet if you just guess anything with an SS on it is bad LOL I don't doubt this one does fall into the fake category because there was no SS-Totenkopf-Regiment 9 so far as I can find- in fact, the proper title for any of the ones that did exist is SS-Totenkopf-Infanterie-Regiment, so just that error ought to be enough. But the list I have doesn't include a 9- there were only 1, 2 and 3. Just looking up the supposed unit is often the easiest way to spot a fake...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Well maximus is right that the vast majority of SS discs you're likely to see for sale are fakes- so it's a safe bet if you just guess anything with an SS on it is bad LOL I don't doubt this one does fall into the fake category because there was no SS-Totenkopf-Regiment 9 so far as I can find- in fact, the proper title for any of the ones that did exist is SS-Totenkopf-Infanterie-Regiment, so just that error ought to be enough. But the list I have doesn't include a 9- there were only 1, 2 and 3. Just looking up the supposed unit is often the easiest way to spot a fake...
    Was hoping someone else would work it out Matt !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

As I stated I do not know much about these, as I also stated it is SS, As I have seen previously alot of these turn out to be fake as most SS items are heavily faked, as we all know...I was using caution for someone who may not know these things untill an expert could weigh in, I assume looking out for someone on here is ok...
    Last edited by maximus71; 06-17-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Thanks for the info Matt, I had my doubts on this one being thats its an SS piece, but it was included in a small group of stuff i had bought recently. The guy told me it was worth $200 alone I knew it probably wasnt worth the chunk of metal it was stamped on. Thanks for everyone elses replies and input!

?

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    As I stated I do not know much about these, as I also stated it is SS, As I have seen previously alot of these turn out to be fake as most SS items are heavily faked, as we all know...I was using caution for someone who may not know these things untill an expert could weigh in, I assume looking out for someone on here is ok...
    That's a good policy Max- all too often on fora, although not so often here in this section, people who don't really know what they're talking about just post when it'd be far better to read and learn first LOL

Sorry Paul! Didn't mean to do an end run there- but I've found if I don't answer questions, they very often don't get answered so I just go ahead now LOL

And no problem DeLuxxe- that guy would be right if it were real, but yeah, it's got scrap value but I don't think zinc is worth too much LOL Glad it was part of a lot and I do hope the rest was worth the price without this guy...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

That's a good policy Max- all too often on fora, although not so often here in this section, people who don't really know what they're talking about just post when it'd be far better to read and learn first LOL
    Yes I knew exactly the point that was trying to be made on my behalf, however I was not trying to sound like a "know it all" or step on the toes of the "experts" I saw the post minutes after it was posted and tried to help with the knowledge I learned on here FROM the "experts" which is alot of SS items are garbage, I was asked what makes it fake and I would have answered/explained myself alot sooner had I not been sleeping. I had the best of intentions in trying to give back some knowledge that was given to me. Peace!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast