Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Dogtag

Article about: No worries gents- there area lot of tricky ins and outs to this kind of evaluation; annoyingly it's often the simple-appearing ones that are the most tricky. Since we have little to go on he

?

Default Re: SS Dogtag

No worries gents- there area lot of tricky ins and outs to this kind of evaluation; annoyingly it's often the simple-appearing ones that are the most tricky. Since we have little to go on here, the possible good and bad features can balance each other out, leaving us no better than when we started LOL Hopefully the new pictures will help some, or someone will work out what 'H.O.U' is...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dogtag
    P
    Many

?

Matt i've seen quite a few of these tags for sale recently on dealers sites all from III SS Panzer Korps , although this Korps is one of my particular areas of interest i too have no idea what the H O U is supposed to be , i haven't been able to find a reference to what it would represent but presumably a Korps level unit or part of the Korps HQ if it exists !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

A bunch could indicate a stock find or that they are indeed fakes. Abbreviations are difficult sometimes- and sometimes units might have odd subsections we wouldn't otherwise know about from formal listings. It's still quite odd for a faker to choose something that would be a mystery- that's not very smart LOL Personally, I wouldn't bother with this one if we can't really identify it unless it's so cheap, it'd be worth the chance and the potential loss if it is discovered to be bad. If it's a stock find, it's really not that interesting since it's not really part of the unit any more than a blank sheet of paper in their office- unless that's what interests someone that is

?

Just seen one on a dealers site ( Weitze ) where the stamp is H Q U . looking closer i think the one posted is also a Q !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Ahhhh so it does- well 'HQU' would stand for 'Hauptquartier' then, which makes sense.

?

Indeed Matt so these could be legit ones after all !!

1st July 1916

?

Possibly- it's still something a faker could have seen or otherwise copied from elsewhere; or with a number of them showing up just now, it might be just unissued stock. Not my cup of tea since it only ever sat in a desk or a box or something...

Well, the store that had the disc I initially posted decided to trade it for another SS disc. Here's pics of the new one. I'm no expert, but I've never seen one like this before. Also, thanks to everyone for checking this thread out and contributing, it's great learning more about these.
    SS DogtagSS Dogtag

?

Well I've only ever seen one of these and that one only looked reasonably realistic- i.e. nothing fishy- so couldn't say for sure what a 'real' one should look like; but that one is different than this one. It's laid-out exactly the same, but it has an actual Sigrunen stamp, not just a few lines like this one and the font, while still serif-capitals, is different. Now it's Stammrollennummer is in the 2000s, so it's possible a set change occurred between this one and that, but it's more likely one or the other (or both) aren't real. This one has nothing immediately good or bad about it that I can see. Me, I always say that with SS discs, there has to either be clear proof of authenticity or it has to look really good and be really cheap (so you don't take a bath if it turns out later to be bad)- or pass on it. This one I'd pass on. Even if it's really cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2