Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Erkennungsmarken

Article about: by Paul E Guys i couldn't find it on Waf !! Can someone post a link ? Its the top one on the forum, as it has seen some renewed activity. SS ID tag (EKM) "Hohenstaufen" - Wehrmacht

Default Re: SS Erkennungsmarken

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Guys i couldn't find it on Waf !! Can someone post a link ?
    Its the top one on the forum, as it has seen some renewed activity.

SS ID tag (EKM) "Hohenstaufen" - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Erkennungsmarken
    P
    Many

?

Thanks Jerry for some reason when i checked the section this morning i must have missed it !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Thanks Jerry for some reason when i checked the section this morning i must have missed it !!
    It was a couple of pages back before I bumped it with a question earlier today. That seems to have stimulated some more debate about it!

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Yeah it's gone wild now Very interesting thread. A guy posted a photo of a Soldbuch showing that the word Hohenstaufen was stamped on ERKs
    Shall i get his permission to post the photo?
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

It's interesting but as was said in that thread, it's not the proof that we'd need; that's one of the solder's field units, and clearly his Erkennungsmarke was different; only an SS-Soldbuch that had the Hohenstaufen on the first page in the Erkennungsmarke line would be real evidence one way or another.

And it's not so great a discussion because nobody's said anything really useful in regards to the whole point of the thread- but that's hardly surprising; pretty much the only evidence would be pretty rare and extremly lucky to find. And at least one of the fellows posting a lot doesn't know as much as he is trying to look like he does- he says that blood group letters are rare on SS discs because most soldiers had the tattoo; that's backwards- far more men didn't have the tattoo and NO blood group letter is the uncommon type. I know this from empirical observation, having seen quite a few original SS discs, and virtually all have had blood group letters other than those known to be unsissued stock.

The one interesting thing that was suggested in the thread is that perhaps the reason the "Gren" is all but missing is that the stamp was altered when the unit ceased to be an SS-Panzergrenadier Division and became an SS-Panzer Divison- I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that most obvious explanation too. To my mind, that makes this seem even less-likely to be a fake...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    only an SS-Soldbuch that had the Hohenstaufen on the first page in the Erkennungsmarke line would be real evidence one way or another
    Aha so this is what confused me. SO we need a Soldbuch with Hohenstaufen entry on page 1 not page 4 like that guy posted.

Quote by Matt L View Post
    The one interesting thing that was suggested in the thread is that perhaps the reason the "Gren" is all but missing is that the stamp was altered when the unit ceased to be an SS-Panzergrenadier Division and became an SS-Panzer Divison- I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that most obvious explanation too. To my mind, that makes this seem even less-likely to be a fake...
    Matt how would that be possible? There are no signs of alteration like scratching etc. How could anyone remove the word GREN from the disc without leaving traces?

That word seems to be a mis struck

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Matt how would that be possible? There are no signs of alteration like scratching etc. How could anyone remove the word GREN from the disc without leaving traces?
    The idea is that the word Gren has been removed from the stamp, assuming it is a one piece unit stamp.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Aha, now i got it.
    But that would explain why the word GREN is like ''flying'' compared to the other words in the same line?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast