Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS French Volunteer Tag(?) from Eastern Front

Article about: Hi guys I am just back from a trip to Latvia where I was lucky enough to join the diggers for five days. My best find of the duration was an ID bracelet found where SS Nordland and Nederland

Default SS French Volunteer Tag(?) from Eastern Front

Hi guys

I am just back from a trip to Latvia where I was lucky enough to join the diggers for five days. My best find of the duration was an ID bracelet found where SS Nordland and Nederland fought. Clearly it is a bracelet rather than tag and possibly pre war French issue, any advice on that gratefully received.

The number 335 is on the back with the location SARREBOURG which I know is in Alsace Lorraine close to the German border.

The other side has the name JULES SCHLENCK, and is dated 1937.

I have found this link which shows he was killed with German forces in 1939-45

MémorialGenWeb resultcommune.php

Provenance is 100% I dug it myself from the woodland, there is no doubt on that point but was wondering if anyone else on here had come across similar or more importantly from my perspective could guide me in any direction where I could research him and see if his story can be patched together? There was some thoughts perhaps that he could have been a Charlemagne member who was sent back as replacement to another volunteer unit.

Any help or guidance most appreciated.

Cheers
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS French Volunteer Tag(?) from Eastern Front   SS French Volunteer Tag(?) from Eastern Front  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS French Volunteer Tag(?) from Eastern Front
    P
    Many

?

Interesting piece. And it is always a big + when you dig the relic yourself.

Remember one thing, you are the first one who has touched this after the original owner lost it.

I am very happy for you!! Next time you find a treasure, remember to take some photos of the item In Situ, makes a good documentation for the future, and in a display.

Hi Trond

Yes I did that and we then dug out the area in case he was a lost soldier and could be recovered, recorded and given a proper burial in due course. Sadly nothing else of note in the area except a lot of PPSH rounds. The tag was unreadable when found though as was covered in thick layer of green crud, and only the perforation and size gave it away as a tag. It was a surprise to all of us when under tap water and a gentle finger rub it became readable.

Steve

?

This looks like him !!

Julius Schlenck

Nach den uns vorliegenden Informationen ist Julius Schlenck seit vermisst.

In dem Gedenkbuch des Friedhofes Saldus (Frauenburg) haben wir den Namen und die persönlichen Daten des Obengenannten verzeichnet. Sie können gern einen Auszug bei uns bestellen.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass auf einigen Friedhöfen nicht die aktuelle Version ausliegt, somit kann der Name Ihres Angehörigen darin evtl. noch nicht verzeichnet sein.
    Nachname:
    Schlenck
    Vorname:
    Julius
    Geburtsdatum:
    Todes-/Vermisstenort:
    Lettland

?

Many men form the Alsace area were recruited into the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS during the war many as ethnic Germans so there will be no connection to the Charlemagne Division.

I would say that this is a personal custom made ID Tag which may have been given to him by his family as a memento , as he is MIA it could be he is not too far away from where you found this !!

Hi Paul

We hunted around and I dug an enlarged hole, but no trace of soldier. I note his birth date as 1917 and see the tag is 1937, perhaps even a 20th birthday gift, we will never know. Is there any way of finding what unit he served with?

Thanks in advance
    Steve

This tag is from French Army, you must look on genealogy site.
    Sarrebourg is between Paris and Strasbourg, the first city in Alsace. In a time, the mayor was Pierre Messmer. A famous fighter of the Foreign Legion in Bir Hakeim(13°DBLE)
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thanks Lebus, that was the initial thoughts when found and glad to have it confirmed, so a pre war French soldier who is later serving with the Germans on the Eastern Front, a very interesting story here I am sure if I can uncover it. I did look at some of the French genealogy sites but my French was not good enough to make much headway.

Cheers
    Steve

I have the list of missing men, look sheet 104.
    http://www.malgre-nous.eu/IMG/pdf_liste-disparus-3.pdf

I put the tag on a french site, i'm not collecting French...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

It could be there is a big unmarked grave nearby, or some pond or water where the bodies have been thrown in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast