Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke

Article about: What a revealing discussion! Wish I had bought it now Nick

Default SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke

Does this disc check out ok please?

The runes look weakly stamped

Many thanks in anticipation

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke   SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke

Well if this is supposed to the the 19. Lettische SS-Freiwilligen-Division, there's an obvious problem: its 3 Grenadier-Regimenter were numbered 42, 43 and 44- so this disc purporting to be from Infanterie-Regiment 4 doesn't make any sense. There was an SS-Infanterie-Regiment 4 RFSS, but it was very different. Now there also was an SS-Freiwilligen-Regiment 4 in the Lett. SS-Freiwilligen-Legion, but that's not the same thing as what the disc says and that unit became SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Regiment 42 when the Legion became a Division. So none of the text seems to go together properly.

Also the marking itself has a problem- SS units nearly always have 'SS' at the beginning: so it would rightly be 'III./SS-J.R. 4'; it just being 'III./ J.R. 4', which was a Heer unit, is very wrong.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Many thanks Matt! I knew you would come up with a definitive answer

You are the man

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hello everybody,
    This is funny, because some days ago, there was one similar sold on an eastern european auction site.
    It was from different company, but looked very like the one above.
    The seller was saying that he dug it himself, and had another one latvian too, that was struck with completely different letters.
    I am not the buyer but I kept the picture for information purposes. I hope that its new owner, that I don't know, will not hold a grudge against me if I post it here (if he comes across this page).

Now this is interesting! What do you think to this revelation Matt ?

Thank you Gazal for the post

Nick

Hi Nick & Matt , I am not trying to "muscle in" on you guys as you all know a damn site more than I ever will , but I would personaly say that these both look like "sell it to the punters" items. I do not like for ONE BIT that the SS side of things is "tough to see"??/ Surely it should be the opposite? But as I say "I do not know!! Sorry for my un-informative ramble!! Leon.

?

Matt is correct of course on the unit not existing. I think that for the Latvian SS for some reason all the tags I have seen and the 3 I own it is always displayed as "Lett SS Frw Rgt" or "Lett SS Freiw Diw" so unfortunately that portion of the text may be a copy from a good tag or photo. * Correction I see this tag has "DIV" I did not see that at first, it is not like my good tag.

?

Here is another bad one that has the exact same text except the II, vs III abt., I have posted it before and we determined it was bad.

And another one that I kept the picture…

?

Very well done guys- one very good way to support an evaluation of 'fake' is to find or show one or more other examples with different fonts and the same text, or the same font on alternate units. Particularly, since as I say all the time, virtually every Kompanie in the German military seems to have had its own unique stamp set, so if two different units are the same, it's a huge red flag; the II. Bataillon and the III. Bataillon would very likely be expected to have different stamps but a faker would likely have only one and use it for everything. And finding the same text in a totally different font is another huge red flag- that immediately suggests the text is indeed simply being copied by a faker from, often, other fakes.

Now that I see them here, I know that second type with the large capitals- I've seen that particular one before, and some of the letters are very, very close (if not identical) to a lesser-known fake type; note how nearly all the shared letters, even among the smaller sized ones, are nearly the same- even the rather characteristic shape of the 'J'. There are a couple that aren't the same among all three, like the 'R' of the 'Prinz Eugen', but those of the Nederland and Lettisch do appear the same. They're all too close to believe the Lettisch just happens to be real but exceedingly similar to a few known fakes.

SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke
    Last edited by Matt L; 07-28-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast