Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Panzergrenadier "Nederland"

Article about: Sorry for steering you in the wrong direction Nick but, as I said before, wait for the man that has the most knowledge in this field. Congrats, Ralph.

?

Default Re: SS Panzergrenadier "Nederland"

I also like the stamping and font, so I vote for original piece.
    WI.Kp. means "Wirtschafts Kompanie".

Jan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Panzergrenadier "Nederland"
    P
    Many

Wasn't Westland a regiment instead of a company, or do I have some wires crossed here?

Quote by Jan S View Post
    I also like the stamping and font, so I vote for original piece.
    WI.Kp. means "Wirtschafts Kompanie".

Jan
    Thanks Jan, yes I just looked it up and you are correct with Wirtschafts

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Wirtschaft concerns the administration of captured equipment, property etc

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

The font is ok but i haven't seen a Nederland tag in this format to the Wirtschaft Kompanie but that is no reason to discount it Matt may well have one in his archive !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Nope, I'm not familiar with that font, and it's very distinctive- the 'G' and 'R' are particularly 'unique'. I don't see anything immediately of concern- the disc looks old since it's chipping at the edges, there's no sign of it being an old disc with new stamping on it. The unit text isn't quite what the references say- it's listed as SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade Nederland- but I don't know if the omission is a big deal or not.

Now Paul and Dimas, you've both said the font is okay- on what do you base that? You've got images of discs from this unit that are identical? Or do you mean the text is okay? The only way to say a particular font- actual letter forms- is okay is to have a 100% original disc with it on. The exact same font on discs from two different units is the sign of a fake; in this case, since it's the Brigade-level small units, I might expect other Kompanien than the Wirtschafts Kp. to have the same font, but that'd be it.

And Feuerbach- you do have something a little mixed-up here; this disc hasn't anything to do with the Westland Regiment- this one's the 4. SS-Frw.-Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade Nederland.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thank you all for your opinions

I have added it to my SS collection

Nick

?

At least S, P and N is similar to seen Nederland tags. The Wi- Komp is existen in the Nederland, and I have seen one, but I did not remember the font on it
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Ah, okay, well really 'similar' isn't sufficient- these capital, sans-serif letters especially are so general in their form, that unless there's something distinctive about them, like the 'G' and the 'R' I mentioned, can look very similar to known fake types too.

It's one of the peculiarities of Erkennungsmarken that because there are so many different fonts, one can never say one is 'good' without an exact match. It's easier for bad ones because there are fewer fonts and they're each used a lot, but real ones are generally specific to a single unit, thus unless you have an example from the exact same unit- sometimes even the exact same Kompanie- you can't say it's good. It can only be 'not bad'. Luckily in cases like this there are other features that one can examine that support the disc being real

And congrats Nick- authentic Nederland discs are tough to find, as indeed are all non-German volunteer unit discs
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thank you Matt

Nick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast