Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.

Article about: Please can you give me your opinions on this. Thank you Nick

Default SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.

Please can you give me your opinions on this.

Thank you

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.   SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.

That's an interesting one Nick. There are no signs it's an old blank just stamped by someone, and that's good; the font isn't a known bad one that I'm familiar with; the abbreviations all make sense and the unit existed, which are both good too. There's no Kompanie number though and no blood group- but neither is odd because I suspect this couldd be an unissued extremely late-war disc. You see, SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18 was only created in February of 1945, so only existed for about 3 months. That could explain why the marking is so very poor with even one dot out of place on the upper half (should be 'JG.ABT.' not 'JGA.BT.') There were only 4 Kompanien, but I wouldn't think it too unreasonable that such a late-war unit just had one roll and didn't even bother denoting who was in what Kompanie. That or it's a stock disc for issue as a replacement- even at the end of the war, some people may have been doing things by the book. If we could see the Stammrollennummer, that might help- if it's extremely low, it's probably stock. Of course conversely if it's in the 600s or higher, that's a problem...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thank you Matt, I very much appreciated your views . I will see if I can get the Stammrollennummer
    Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Here is the number, so I think I will purchase. Many thanks again for your help Matt

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.   SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.  

?

I don't actually know if there was a regulation or standard regarding the number of 'stock' discs a unit carried for replacement purposes, but one might think that over 100 was rather a lot; in February of 1945 it seems even less-likely they'd just make up over a hundred extras- although perhaps that would explain why it's so crudely-made. I'd tend to expect it's just as reasonable to believe this one was issued- 4 Kompanien would ideally mean nearly 500 men, and at this late stage surely over 200, so 114 is a reasonable roll number for an actual soldier. I'd think too it was a very 'thrown together' unit comprising men from wherever they could be had, so having to issue new discs to men without them, to new recruits or even, perhaps, Luftwaffe, KM or other personnel 'recruited' to fill the roll. The lack of a blood group letter fits just fine with the probable urgency of the situation.

The rather crude and damaged '1' stamp is quite recognizable and luckily I've not seen it before- I had a look through all the fakes in my database and it wasn't there, so that's also a good sign.

The 'age' looks quite real, and overall I can see nothing that's dubious or otherwise makes me doubt the disc's authenticity.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Again, thank you Matt.

Nick

?

nice tag for your collection mate

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    nice tag for your collection mate
    Thanks Mark !

Nick

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Thanks Mark !

Nick
    yeah , saw it was now sold with an 'N' so thought it must be you

Guys i have found a tag identical to this with a very close roll number. Is that a good or a bad thing.
    Seems odd, to me but since it's a relic it could mean that they were found together?

SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 18.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast