Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Tag Original?

Article about: I am looking to buy this tag but I cannot decide if it is original, The back is blank.

?

Default SS Tag Original?

I am looking to buy this tag but I cannot decide if it is original, The back is blank.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Tag Original?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Tag Original?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS Tag Original?

The text doesn't make any sense to me. I wouldn't touch it...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

It did not look like any SS tag I had seen but I certainly do not know them all.

?

Letters also look very crude to me also

?

Well there is a recognizable system to unit designations and text, and this is a jumble. An Arabic number before a slash generally indicates a Kompanie, a Roman numeral indicates a Bataillon (of a Regiment) but '7/IIR' means nothing. The 7. Kompanie of an Infanterie-Regiment would be in the II. Bataillon, but it's obvious so you don't generally get both; and 'R' invariably stands for 'Regiment', which makes no sense as that disc has it. 'N' would most usually stand for 'Nachrichten' and just on its own 'SS N 50' would seem to be 'SS-Nachrichten-Abteilung 50' but there was no such unit, and an Abteilung is the same level a unit as a Bataillon so all that first line stuff doesn't fit either. It's a mess, so is doubtless a fake.

And actually gel, the letters are pretty typical and don't look crude really- the straight lines are straight, the curves are consistent and so on. Crude would be like some of those in the fakes sticky thread- particularly the 'Rokas' type that are just nasty.

The disc looks more circular than the more oval standard. Is this normal?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Yes, there was a slightly 'fatter' style, and this looks like one of those- so there's nothing necessarily wrong with it in that respect. It could still be a fake disc- it doesn't necessarily have to be an original blank with fake text, of course.

Here are examples of the three 'normal' shapes:

More rounded:

SS Tag Original?

More ovoid:

SS Tag Original?

Between the two:

SS Tag Original?

Thanks Matt

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem