Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS tag --- St. Kp. H. SS. u. P.F. II. d. W. SS

Article about: Does this one make any sense? I kind of like the general look of it, the font etc. and I found no obvious matches in the fake EKM font thread but I'm struggling to figure out some of these a

Open to more opinions on this one ---

btw: anyone know where Matt L is? Seems he hasn't been on here for months, actually since Oct. last year according to his login info...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS tag --- St. Kp. H. SS. u. P.F. II. d. W. SS
    P
    Many

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The abbreviations would be for a Stabskompanie [staff company] directly subordinate to a Höherer SS- und Polizeiführer [Higher SS- and Police Leader]. Such units existed, for example there was a Stabskompanie of the Höherer SS- und Polizeiführer Rußland-Süd.

However there are several problems here:

For starters, I have only ever seen "Höherer SS- und Polizeiführer" abbreviated as "HSSPF" (not "H SS u. P. F.") The various HSSPF were identified by geographical designations rather than Roman numerals and the "d. W. SS" = "der Waffen-SS" [of the Waffen-SS] does not make sense to me in combination with the HSSPF designation, either.
    The stamping of Höhrer SS und Politzei Führer is OK. What I can't reconcile is the difference in the two types of siegrunes. Apart from those the disc looks OK.

Thank you for voicing your opinion! I see that the runes differ a bit in that single line with the one set of runes being a bit thinner than the other --- but, to me at least, nearly every other SS disc I see seems to have a somewhat irregular runes... I'm not aware, at the moment, of all that many with the "SS" rune abbreviation repeated twice on a single stamp/single line but what I have noticed is that one SS rune seems to often be slightly different to the other within a single "SS" impression/stamping... to me suggesting that the SS rune might often not have been as standardized or available and that therefore some "improvisation" might have taken place... resulting in varying shapes and thickness.

I don't know, really... just an observation on the subject. This isn't mine...yet, at least --- so, I'm open to any thoughts and this is a valid and very interesting observation. Would this to you be a "red flag"?

Oh yes... also, to me it seems each side has been stamped with a single tool/die/stamp or whatever you'd call it --- certainly allowing for varying rune thickness to some degree as the two separate SS rune pairs were seemingly not created by using a single unique "SS" stamp. If that makes sense Funny how things suddenly pop out at you after some discussion and close study.

SS tag --- St. Kp. H. SS. u. P.F. II. d. W. SSSS tag --- St. Kp. H. SS. u. P.F. II. d. W. SS

A couple of better shots. To me, as well as seemingly most others, the obverse looks fine overall --- seems to me that the reverse is fine as well, with some scuffs that have made the roster number kind of stand out... I'm not sure though, this is the only thing that kind of sticks out as a possible issue -- What do you think?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    SS tag --- St. Kp. H. SS. u. P.F. II. d. W. SSSS tag --- St. Kp. H. SS. u. P.F. II. d. W. SS

A couple of better shots. To me, as well as seemingly most others, the obverse looks fine overall --- seems to me that the reverse is fine as well, with some scuffs that have made the roster number kind of stand out... I'm not sure though, this is the only thing that kind of sticks out as a possible issue -- What do you think?
    The Stammrollnummer has been overstamped twice, but that is not unusual and a human element. Now we can see the tag without any labels on it the siegrunes actually look similar. So my concern about these being stamped at different times no longer stands.

Personally I am happy this item is original - and quite rare.

That would be a lot of effort to go to in order to fake a single stamp such as this one for a rare unit. I would give the benefit of the doubt to this example provided the price is right of course.

Thank you all for the input! After what I've now learned from this discussion I decided to take the plunge... price was about the same as what a broken ground dug SS tag from one of the more common units would go for. This tag kind of merges several fields of interest for me --- SS, Polizei and the political part of the Nazi regime.

I also found a source stating that the various Höherer SS- und Polizeiführers were often denoted by numbers according to the Wehrkreis they were active within. Going by the info. given on this tag it would make this belonging to Wehrkreis II which, according to some original documents and book excerpts I found, would denote the HSSuPF of Ostsee, Stettin --- Emil Mazuw Emil Mazuw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, the above is only a theory of mine but it is, in my opinion, the most plausible one and supported by period documentation and/or other written works.

Thanks again to all who gave their opinion and shared their knowledge!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2