Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS tags

Article about: Hello I write on the way from a friend who consider to buy thies. What do you think about this one, for me it looks like crap.

Default SS tags

Hello

I write on the way from a friend who consider to buy thies.
    What do you think about this one, for me it looks like crap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS tags   SS tags  

SS tags   SS tags  

SS tags   SS tags  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS tags
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS tags

Hi Lars,

I think you are right , the Seyffart , Norge and Danmark are fakes as is the Wallonien , not seen the French ones before but they don't look good they have quite a few poor features !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Definitely- the Norge, Danmark and Seyffart are easily recognizable fake types (the lettering), but I don't know either about the French ones; the Stabskompanie one in particular is a whole text stamp which isn't something fakers commonly have. My usual advice for stuff like this is if you're comfortable with taking the chance, then buy- otherwise pass. With SS stuff it's always a gamble unless there's virtually no doubt of authenticity.

@ Paul- how do you know the Wallonien one is bad? I've not seen the type before myself and don't see anything I'd recognize as an obvious problem on first glance, so it'd be really helpful to know what's wrong with it for future reference. And just what bad features do you see on the French ones?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Matt re the French ones the French wern't a Sturm Brigade they were a Waffen Brigade prior to their elevation to Div status , the Regt 58 tag has the correct designation for the unit but in my opnion the stampings appear inregular plus the 58 Regiment was Franzosiche No 2 , Regt 57 was Frazosische No 1 !!

The Wallonian tag is one that i have in my fake section it was i believe identified as such on another forum i haven't the exact reasson recorded !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Matt i've just rechecked my records and the French were a Sturmbrigade before coming a Waffen Brigade , depends which source you use, so this tag could in fact have the correct unit designation.

1st July 1916

?

Ah, okay because not knowing anything to the contrary, I'd have thought the Wallonien disc could well be real; the blood group is made with a simple flat tool, which is not the least bit normal for fakes, but was sometimes done on real discs, and the text is not individual letters but whole words, lines or even the whole text as one, which means someone would have had to pay to have such stamps made and then one would expect a lot of these to show up, but I've never seen one before. Single stamps for words or whole unit texts aren't uncommon on real discs. Really I see nothing about that disc which would make me wonder about its authenticity- so it'd have to be known by someone to be a fake because he knew the maker or some such thing.

And yes, the initial part of the unit text is correct, but you're also right that 57 was Nr. 1 and 58 was Nr. 2- when I looked I only saw that the Division was listed as 'Nr.1' so expected it'd be used for all subunits, but it's not apparently...

?

Your right re the Wallonien Tag Matt overall the impression is good , as i say unfortunatley i didn't record a reason as to why it was wrong , maybe we can get other opinions on it !!

cheers

Paul

1st July 1916

?

Hopefully- the ones that really do look original are the dangerous ones because only those with some direct insider knowledge can recognize them. Of course it's always possible the person who said it was bad was incorrect- if he didn't post anything so convincing for you to remember

?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Hopefully- the ones that really do look original are the dangerous ones because only those with some direct insider knowledge can recognize them. Of course it's always possible the person who said it was bad was incorrect- if he didn't post anything so convincing for you to remember
    True Matt !! Hopefully Fronti may pass by and give us his opinion !!

1st July 1916