Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS TAGS...Need Some Advice

Article about: You got it Eike- although there were a few Divisionen that did issue discs this way, so it's not 100% fantasy, it's just extremely atypical and thus easiest to assume any SS-Division-marked

?

Default Re: SS TAGS...Need Some Advice

Yeah, I can't say I like it either- the font and actual layout of the text are mainly fine, and overall it's not a usual crappy fake, but the text itself is abnormal for the LAH and there's a glaring omission: the 'SS-Verfügungstruppe' or 'Waffen-SS' that should be on the reverse. Some large units used a central roster, but the vast, vast majority had Kompanie-level rosters thus the exact Kompanie must be indicated on the Erkennungsmarke- and the LAH was one of these. The majority of the few authentic LAH discs I've seen have been from their Ersatz formation, which is to be expected, but the few field unit discs have had a much simpler text and a Kompanie number. There wouldn't be those and this 'whole Division' type, so it's got to be a fake.

The one issue with the font that I see is the blood group letter is the same stamp as the 'A' in 'LAH'- the main text on discs was stamped at one time and in one place, while the blood group was stamped elsewhere when the disc was issued, so the stamps are virtually always different.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS TAGS...Need Some Advice
    P
    Many

?

Great points...I agree with you. Good call in regards to the font issue

?

As Matt and John have pointed out if you are going to collect Erkennungsmarke do some research and gain some knowledge on German unit lineage , make up and designations which is something quite a few fakers pay no attention too and this can make a tag easy to spot as a fake .

SS tags go for quite a bit so if nothing else learn about SS Unit designation and hopefully it will stop collectors parting with hard earned cash for a modern fake !!.

The LAH didn't become a Panzer Divison until 22nd October 1943 so on this tag it is the first Kompanie of what unit in the LAH , one of the two Panzer Grenadier Regts, the Panzer Regt , the Panzer Pi Btl , Panzer Aufk Abt etc etc !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on tags...Im learning alot from you guys...but what would the 359 represent? Could that symbolize a particular unit? IE: Panzer Grenadier Regts, the Panzer Regt , the Panzer Pi Btl , Panzer Aufk Abt ...

?

No problem for lack of knowledge we are all here to learn and this is the best palce to do it

The number represents the actual soldier himself , in his documents this number is recorded as part of the EK thus if he is KIA half of the tag can be removed for identification and accounting purposes and the other half left with the body so it can be identified again if necessary in the future.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Gotcha....Thanks Paul

?

In this case the 1. isn't the Kompanie, it's the Division number, right- the LAH was the 1st SS Pz. Division- convention has a Kompanie number is followed by a slash. That's why I commented that this is an incorrect designation because it's usual that individual Kompanien had their own rosters, only rarely did an entire Division have just one.

It's errors like incorrect unit designations, omissions of various elements and such that allow us to recognize fakes or what're likely fakes- and in the case of SS discs, with so many around and the prices so high, likley fakes or even suspected fakes are best left alone. It takes quite a lot to really learn the ins and outs of German military formation designations, especially the way they're put on Erkennungsmarken so it's really a case of if you want to be able to evaluate them yourself because you plan to really collect them as opposed to just wanting one or a few here and there to add to other things. We here and on other fora are always happy to help out- if I can stop one collector from wasting his money on a fake and cost one scumbag faker a profit, I'm happy
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Thanks once again for more great input and advice! I've gained some terrific knowledge in the 4 days that I have been a member. Great website and great members!

Matt & Paul You are stupendous

Here's one I had a while back, LAH
    Marked
    Nr 82
    AUTKL. Aut
    SS STU.G. ABt.1
    And bloodgroup "A"
    SS-StuG Abteilung LSSAH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS TAGS...Need Some Advice   SS TAGS...Need Some Advice  

?

1st ss panzer division is the division. This tag is not for a sub unit but the division itself so without a sub unit what did this guy and the other 387 roll numbers in front of him do? I would assume fake for this reason alone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast