Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SS-Verfügungstruppe tag

Article about: Attachment 392810Attachment 392811 Here is one piece for comparison, found by me few years ago in prisoner camp in South Bohemia, CZ. Jan

?

Default Re: SS-Verfügungstruppe tag

Quote by Jan S View Post
    Attachment 392847

What about now? And hope there is no size limit....

Jan
    It's not that- I checked both your posts and there's a link in the text, but no actual image associated. If you want, you can email me the picture and I'll try Jan
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Verfügungstruppe tag
    P
    Many

?

Here are Jan's pictures:

SS-Verfügungstruppe tagSS-Verfügungstruppe tag

I'm not sure why it's a common problem lately that attachments aren't working- but for everyone's knowledge, when you are adding a photo and get back to the primary message page where the text box I'm writing in right now is, have a look down the page a little in the section just below titled 'Additional Options', and in the section section there titled 'Attachements'- below the 'Pictures Upload' button there should be a little box with each of the files you think you're attaching- in this case I have this:

P1010267.jpg (244.2 KB)
    P1010268.jpg (235.8 KB)

(plus a little icon before each indicating it's an image file). If these aren't present, you aren't attaching any valid images despite having the " ATTACH=CONFIG 123456 /ATTACH " code in the text block. If you try to attach an image and don't see the file listed in the 'Attachments' box, erase the code in the text block and try it all again. Yesterday it happened to me- I did all the usual stuff and got the code, but I looked and the files weren't listed; so I tried it again and it worked. You can also try the 'Preview Post' button to make sure your images are showing up.

?

Back to the discs- note that this one too is the 2. Batterie, but all the fonts are different; Jan found this himself so there's no reason to doubt it's authenticity, and therefore this is an example of what I've mentioned elsewhere about units changing the stamps sometimes. The '/ SS-A.E.R.' text is very straignt, equally-spaced and identical on both halves, suggesting it's probably a single stamp with just the variables (the Batterie number, and roster number) being stamped in separtely. The 'Waffen SS' on the reverse is also a single stamp.

Since the first disc presented had a rather low roster number compared to this one, and was marked 'SS-Verfügungstruppe', whereas this one's marked 'Waffen-SS', it's quite reasonable that there was enough time and a significant change in the unit overall that easily account for the change in text. And that it's a single stamp does as well- it's not just that they changed a full 26-letter stamp set, but simply moved to using one dedicated stamp to reduce the work involved.

BUT- notice the numbers haven't changed- it's still the same '2' for the Batterie number:

SS-Verfügungstruppe tag

I've just cropped the '2' out of Jan's image and superimposed it on to stados'. Since they already had a set of numbers, they continued to use them when the new 'single stamp' discs came into use.

That's a nice disc, Jan! Interesting to see a later one from the very same unit (2nd Batt.), only after it changed over to the "Waffen SS" designation... where was it found?

Oh... interesting to see that they continued on using the same lettering, Matt. The "2" is an obvious match indeed.

An excellent informative thread

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    That's a nice disc, Jan! Interesting to see a later one from the very same unit (2nd Batt.), only after it changed over to the "Waffen SS" designation... where was it found?

Oh... interesting to see that they continued on using the same lettering, Matt. The "2" is an obvious match indeed.
    Slados,

it was found in well known prisoner camp south of Dacice, Czech republic.

Matt's posts and info are always very valuable, I wish I could have his analytical brain and eye for details... Instead of it I have some ID tags dug by me and by friends to show and support him sometimes

Jan

?

SS-Verfügungstruppe tagSS-Verfügungstruppe tag

Another EK from 10 Batterie !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Oh you can just copy and paste the lot into Google Translator or the like and get it more easily than trying to muddle through

One thing we can say is that because of the specific designation, he was inducted into the service some time between 10.4.1941 and 1.5.1943- unfortunately, I have no idea how large a training 'class' was nor how long the training period was for artillery, so it's impossible to say if his roster number, 899, means he was near the beginning, in the middle somewhere or closer to the end. Infanterie-type Kompanien were on the order of 250 men, so if Artillerie had anything similar, he could have been in maybe the 4th 'class' and if training were no more than two months, he could have been in sometime around the beginning of 1942...
    Near the beginning, my uncle had Erkennungsmarke: 2. A. E. R. 903 He joined the waffen ss in August 1940, he received three months of training in the Freimann Kazerne in Munich, then spent three months at the Unterführerschulen der Waffen-SS in Lauenenburg (Pomerania) After that he went to Berlin for almost five months and was classified at Kampfgruppe Nord, at an artillery unit. At the outbreak of the war between Germany and Russia in June 1941 he found himself in Finland at the Finnish front where he remained until September 1943 after which he was transferred to an artillery regiment in Beneschau.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Thank you for the translation and clarification... the way you've read it seems to be the most logical based on how it's written.
    The tag itself was found near Kiestinki, in/by a village called Senozero (a village that I've come to understand is not there anymore) which was again situated by Lake Sennoe. As I've come to understand there was static fighting going on in the Kiestinki area all the way from late 1941 to mid-late 1944 so pinning it down further than this would probably be difficult... any good books on the fighting in this area out there?
    https://www.zvab.com/servlet/BookDet...%26sortby%3D20

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3