Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Are these disks real??

Article about: Hi all, Im new to buying these but would like to own a real one for my collection, so im asking before I buy any of these, also any info on what the markings mean, thanks for all the expert

Default Re: Are these disks real??

Fortunately Google translate does a reasonable job of getting the Lexicon site into English Google Translate

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Are these disks real??
    P
    Many

?

Both discs are nice and undoubtedly real. The first is a pre- or very early-war example since it's an actual field unit with a rather low roster number suggesting that soldier was one of the original members of the 9. Kompanie- so that's desirable; and the fact that the unit's history can be tracked is great too. The second one is nice because it's marked 'Gr.' for 'Grenadier'- strangely, even though the designation 'Infanterie' was changed to 'Grenadier' in late 1942, discs marked 'Grenadier' aren't all that common in my experience- there are far, far more 'Infanterie' discs out there.

The listing for GEB514 states it was created by the redesignation of IEB10 when the 4. Infanterie-Division became the 14. Panzer-Division, which was destroyed at Stalingrad, and mentions IEB10's association with the replacement system of the 4.ID, so it seems reasonable to expect there was a continued association with 14.PD. The only oddity is what I mentioned previously about the term 'Grenadier'- it was only formally adopted in November of 1942, so the timing seems rather tight for a man from a Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon to have made it to Stalingrad before the capitulation on 2. Februarly, 1943. The roster number also seems too high for this man to have been even one of the very first recruits in the unit and thus a rush could theoretically have gotten him there before the last airfield was lost on 25. January, just in time to surrender to the Soviets.

All that being said, there might be 100,000 discs or more in the ground there in present day Volgograd- they've been coming up for sale steadily for more than 10 years (I bought one back in 2002 myself), so there's certainly no shortage and not so much reason for someone to lie about it. They shouldn't be any more valuable than any other disc just because they're from Stalingrad simply because there are so many too...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

thanks for all the info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2