MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)

Article about: Hello, Wow. A friend of mine found this dog tag in a flea market. It's a german erkennungsmarken for sure, but what about the unit ? It's quite hard to read it. A real mess.. If anyone has a

Regarding the bakelite romanian dog-tag, the ctg. date is good. I miscalculated as the bearer was drafted in 1927, therefore was approximately 36 years old in 1942. C.R. comes from "regiment corps" (corpul regimentului) indicating, as I said, the place where the regiment was located. There is yet another interesting thing to notice on the obverse. First, the contour which circles the cross is the contour of Romania prior to 1940. Secondly, the cross resembles the Romanian dog tags from WW1.
    I still try to understand what is with that Rgb instead of Rgt. and what does TMTC stand for

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)
    P
    Many

Hi Sever,

Thanks for all the help deciphering these tags. Yes, TMTC is intriguing and bakelite tag is definitely prewar as it shows Transylvania, Bukovina and Bessarabia as part of Romanian. Is there anyway to trace these tags to any individuals?

Gary
    Last edited by dagwood; 04-10-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Timisoara maybe?

Hello Mr. Gary
    Timisoara was also my first thought as it is abbreviated TM but I don't know what does TC stand for. The 83 infantry regiment has that name...Andrei Vanc (perhaps a soldier in his early 20's). The others can be ascribed to individuals following the ID number but, as I have written earlier in this topic, they can be researched at the Romanian Military Archives if the files still exist. Many soldiers from 91 and 83 regiments were taken prisoners and some returned after the war, but a great number died in Soviet camps. It would be nice to somehow trace these individuals and uncover the story behind the tags.
    Best regards
    Sever

I catch up with this thread only now, and i must say that not all the dog-tags displayed by Mr.Sever, are from ebay. The Turda one, reporting bullet damage, it's mine, and it isn't from ebay I've read your discussion, and i just want to add a simple fact: here, in Romania, you can't get any identification from a identification disc (this ''dog-tag'' term is improper, and most likely coming from the US). Even if you find a id-tag having also the complete name of its owner, you wouldn't be able to ''extract'' something from it. I have many Romanian id-tag (over 100) from both WW1/WW2, and 90% of them are ground dug. I've tried several times to identify some of them, and every time it was a failure, because the authority won't give you any information related to the soldiers personal files.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)   Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)  

Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)   Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)  

Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)  

few more; the one with the condom stick to it, was found on the Oarba de Mures battlefield. I would have posted more, but the interface for posting pictures it's pretty obsolete and slow, don't have the time for that. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)   Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)  

Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)   Unknown dog tag ; what is this unit please ? :)  

I must add one more detail: the idea that the blank id-tags were in fact written with some sort of ''magic ink'', it's more likely a ''urban myth''. I've searched for any kind of clear info regarding that, without succes. We must have in mind, that those tags were stamped also on the frontline, so having also many blanks... was something just normal. In fact, i've found several ones apprently blank, not stamped, but after cleaning them and under a very close look, i found out that they were scratched with all the useful data, very thin, but they were hand scratched with a nail or something. Now, i don't state that the idea of the ''pencil writings'' (maybe with some sort of chemical pencil?) it's impossible, but it remains just a speculation, if there isn't any sort of confirmed, historical reference about that practice.

Thanks for your additions ArkanBuc, any observations from you on Romanian identification discs would be most welcome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3