Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Waffen SS dog tag, opinions please

Article about: Dear Friends, i need your help with this dog tag, original or fake?, Waffen SS Di. Das Reich?.

Default Waffen SS dog tag, opinions please

Dear Friends, i need your help with this dog tag, original or fake?, Waffen SS Di. Das Reich?.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS dog tag, opinions please
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Waffen SS dog tag, opinions please

Hola Jose Luis,

This one's tough- it's from the Ersatz formation of the SS-Germania-Regiment, which is one of the more common units one sees discs from, however it's not of the common form; most discs one sees are marked 'X./ E SS G' and 'SS-V.T.', however the font is different and the serial numbers are usually very high- I had one myself that was numbered in the 20,000s. I have images of 6 others- three are from the 1. Kompanie, one from the Stab, and two from the 3. Kompanie- all of which have letter, number and Sigrunen forms that are quite consistent and may be the same (hard to tell from some photos if they're identical or just very close), but are quite different than this one. The lowest serial number is 10091, whcih is a long way from 53, so it's impossible to say if, for example, one stamp set was used initially and then at some point before the 10000th disc another one was put into use.

That's just a situation we cannot rule out however, it's not one that supports the disc as being real. Myself, I always went by the rule that I didn't have to just not see anything wrong with an SS disc, because surely there are fakes we're not familar with, but rather I had to see things I felt were good- and in this case while I don't see anything I can point to as definitely wrong, I don't see anything I can say really looks good either. I'd pass on it unless there is any good reason to believe it's probably real.

Here's one image:

It's easy to see how different the stamps are. The ones on the disc in question are wider and the shapes are all a bit different and don't have the same unique details; the Sigrunen in particular are noticably different.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Correction- the lowest serial number I have an image of is 5087:

You can see though that the main unit title part 'E SS G' appears to be the same as the 3. Kompanie one above. Interestingly it's a disc pre-marked 'SS-Verfügungstruppe', although there's no reason to assume all discs issued prior to this one were so.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

I do not like the thread starter's tag, I have seen them a lot, up to big numbers, but allways similar script
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics