Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waffen SS Dogtag for Review

Article about: Sure thing and glad you like it

Default Waffen SS Dogtag for Review

Picked a few items up recently and this is one of them i like it, any opinions would appreciated !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS Dogtag for Review
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Waffen SS Dogtag for Review

It looks okay to me. Ordinarily one might question the lack of an 'SS' as part of the unit designation- since, technically, the proper unit is 'SS-Panzerjäger-Ersatz-Abteilung'- but there are odd cases where it's not present and here it's not unreasonable to belive it's one of those becasue there's not a unit number- were it a Heer disc simply later marked 'Waffen-SS' by a faker, there'd be a number; the Waffen-SS, on the other hand, had many single replacement units, e.g., SS-Flak-Ersatz-Regiment, SS-Panzer-Ersatz-Regiment, etc.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thanks for the input Matt !

?

Sure thing. This is one of those uncommon cases where an SS disc is fairly easy to say is good. Were I still actively collecting discs, I'd buy this one without hesitation- providing it's not overpriced LOL Hopefully you got a decent deal.

Thanks Matt, i already own it !

Hi guys, just joined the site. I have bought this dog tag & was wondering what i could find out about it, Real or fake? and which unit it was from. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen SS Dogtag for Review   Waffen SS Dogtag for Review  

?

Welcome Tonygill

Well it's real- these are actually fairly common; there was a stock of these unissued discs found some years ago. The unit is SS-Panzergrendier-Ausbildungs-und Ersatz-Bataillon 1 (armoured infantry training and replacement battalion 1), 151B is the serial number and there's no blood group letter (Bl.Gr. stands for Blutgruppe); actually that latter mark is not normally on these discs, so presumably at some point they stopped putting it on (all the serial numbers in the images I have are rather later).

thanks for your help matt.
    so its an early one.
    was that bataillon attached to a certain ss unit.
    the dealer i bought it of thinks its leibstandarte.
    but was not sure.
    thanks.

?

Sure thing.

Well it's 'early' in the sense that they made lots of discs after this one, but not with resepct to time; the term 'Panzergrenadier' only came into use in July of 1942, so half way through the war, and this particular unit was only created in April, 1943. They're one of the few (or only?) unit to use a letter suffix as part of the serial number- so this is presumably the 1151st disc marked. They, for some reason, had many thousands of them- I've seen an 'M' suffix- although they must have had fewer than 1151 replacement troops go through in the 2 years they existed. Yes it's the LSSAH's training and replacement unit, but being an unissued disc it's not really from the unit- it just sat in their office in Berlin-Spreehagen presumably since that's where the unit was last based.

thanks again mat.
    fantastic forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast