Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?

Article about: I've been trying to identify the age and function of this id tag. It has alpha numeric coding similar to a soldier's ID tag, but it lacks the perforations to break it in half for record keep

Hello.
    I'm sorry but I have very little information on these objects. I bought them on some forums because I liked them. I rarely see any Kleidermarke for sale, now there are two on the Militaria / Helmut Weitze website.
    You look at these links:
    Uniformen der Wehrmacht – Wikipedia
    SS Hülse und SS Kleidermarke - Militaria Fundforum
    Regards, Giovanni

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?
    P
    Many

?

I did hear back from Jeff Noll on his thoughts. See below for what it is worth.

Kirk, I have had a few minutes to look over your disc. The marking is textbook Weimar. 4th company of infantry regiment 41. The "241" is the number of whatever item this tag was affixed to. "Abend" in German means "evening" but could be someone's name. Sadly, my expertise is in Imperial German militaria and my library resources are sorely lacking for Weimar items.. I do not know what styles of dog tags were used in this period but since WW2 German tags are the same shape as WW1 I would surmise the Weimar tags were probably so also. This disc could have been affixed to a wooden box (although the oval hole doesn't support it) or hung with a cord on just about anything. Sorry I could not be of more help. Jeff
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thanks for your efforts, Kirk. (But, as we have already seen, it's not from the Weimar era.)

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Thanks for your efforts, Kirk. (But, as we have already seen, it's not from the Weimar era.)
    You bet. Just passing along others thoughts. I am learning on this or at least trying to.

Quote by gianni59 View Post
    It is Kleidermarke (clothing brand) Uniforms of the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS.
    Some of mine:
    It is similiar, but these tags all designate items of clothing ("greatcoat, grey", "trousers, long, grey" and "greatcoat, black"), whereas the tag that started this thread says "evening".

As I said, I cannot identify the item, but I know that it definitely isn't an ID disc, and I see nothing that points towards it being a clothing tag.

I rummaged around the forum a bit, and on an older thread found the Assmann catalog page posted below.

These items were sold as Army clothing tags and meal tokens ["Reichsheer Kleider- und Essmarken"]:

Why is this id tag round and lacking perforations?

(# 23281 - 23286 were meal tokens and # 21048 - 23072 clothing tags, but since the text in the illustration is just an example as these had to be embossed with custom inscriptions anyway, I see no reason why # 23048 - 23072 shouldn't be utilized for meal tokens as well.)

So, I do think I was right with my canteen-related theory: It's a token for supper [Abendessen].
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-13-2018 at 09:05 PM.

?

I would imagine something like this might be fixed to the appropriate shelf/pigeonhole in a unit stores depot, as an indicator for the store men, rather than attached to an individual clothing item.

Edit: Ah-ha! HPL does it again!

I think I must have skipped page 2! (Didn’t see any of the latter posts here).
    Doh!

Late on parade but yes HPL is correct it's a canteen token and NOT a soldiers ekm.

Thanks to all who contributed, especially HPL! It’s been informative and fun.

?

Drvernon glad you joined us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2