Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

11th Squadron Image on Ebay

Article about: For some reason, the B-3 did not want to post in my previous reply. Let's try this again...OK. The image does not want to post. I keep getting an error message "not a valid file" s

Default 11th Squadron Image on Ebay

In my humble opinion, the image was not taken during WWI nor in occupied Germany. I believe it dates somewhere in the range of 1921-23 and was taken stateside. Still, a neat image:

RARE ORIGINAL WW1 11TH BOMBARDMENT SQUADRON PHOTOGRAPH - eBay (item 250601345879 end time Mar-28-10 17:18:08 PDT)

-Chuck

Default Re: 11th Squadron Image on Ebay

Based on the weed in the foreground I would have to agree with you.

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate the feedback.

I guess someone more familiar with the 11th Squadron will also notice the more elaborate variation of their insignia & give us a better time line. As far as I know, during WWI the insignia consisted only of 'Mr. Jiggs' on a white circular background. The one we see here has a scroll along the bottom with wording on it that's hard to make out in the scan provided. There's a name on back which, with a little bit of luck, will give us a definite timeline. I hadn't crossreferenced it just yet...

-Chuck
    -Chuck

Here are the photos. As a friendly reminder guys, please attach photos from auctions to your listings. After the auction dies out, so does the link to the photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 11th Squadron Image on Ebay   11th Squadron Image on Ebay  

11th Squadron Image on Ebay  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

My bad, Steve. Will do in the near future...

What do you think about the photos? Post war?

I'm trying to ID the bomber. Might be a Huff-Daland LB-1 as seen here (courtesy of wikipedia.com)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 11th Squadron Image on Ebay  

There is similar wing bracing on the Keystone B-4 (which is a 1930's A/C so I don't think that is what it is) but the size is quite a bit larger than the LB-1 I think.

Gary
    Quote by CThomas View Post
    My bad, Steve. Will do in the near future...

What do you think about the photos? Post war?

I'm trying to ID the bomber. Might be a Huff-Daland LB-1 as seen here (courtesy of wikipedia.com)

Gary-

If it's not an LB-1, then there are only a few other choices & they are:

Martin MB-2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 11th Squadron Image on Ebay  

An LB-7 (IMHO not the same plane in the ebay auction)

A Curtis B-2 Condor (does not appear to be the same bomber in Ebay auction)

This image looks like it might actually be 11th Squadron related. Check out that nose art...

A B-3A (does not appear to be same bomber in Ebay auction). This would also bring us into the 1931-1934 time frame when these planes were used by the 11th Squadron. Besides, the center sections struts do not match up with the ebay auction.

This is the last of the choices that would have been flown by the squadron. For more on the 11's history, please see this link on Wikipedia:
    11th Bomb Squadron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast