Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1942 published Aircraft and the Air

Article about: Gday All, Here's something a little different, A 1942 British publication "Aircraft and the Air".Edited by Eric Sargent. It was the property of an Australian AIF soldier Private M

Default 1942 published Aircraft and the Air

Gday All,
    Here's something a little different,
    A 1942 British publication "Aircraft and the Air".Edited by Eric Sargent.
    It was the property of an Australian AIF soldier Private M Wallace.
    This particular edition (third) has no publishing date but from the information contained in the Addenda eg delete "Ark Royal" , mention of the "Far East" and also to a lack off later war aircraft types I would put it down to around mid to late 1942.

What I like about this book is what is contained in the remark sections of the various aircraft types.I have attempted to show some good examples of these remarks in the images.I hope you can see the text. Sorry but I still have'nt worked out the image order thingy yet.

1942 published  Aircraft and the Air1942 published  Aircraft and the Air1942 published  Aircraft and the Air1942 published  Aircraft and the Air1942 published  Aircraft and the Air

Some very interesting and misleading comments that history has proven incorrect but I can fully understand why they were published at that point in the war.
    Over all condition is good to fair.
    I hope you have enjoyed this little gem as I have alway's wanted to show this to people with a similar mind set.
    Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 01-02-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Grammar

Default Re: 1942 published Aircraft and the Air

Arent books like this a good read. Very nice condition and good history to it. I have an aircraft spotters book from 1943 I think from memory (have to find it actually) and its got plenty of misleading info like yours, even wrong designs and names. Great little piece

Default Re: 1942 published Aircraft and the Air

Gday Volks,
    Yes mate they are hay.I think you can learn heaps from them,and it's not only the text that's informative.
    The British public's ignorance of the Japanese in 1942.
    The whole section on Japanese aircraft types

1942 published  Aircraft and the Air1942 published  Aircraft and the Air

Two obsolete types.
    Even by mid to late 1942 the British public were still informed/thought they were up against an inferior ememy equipped with rag and timber aircraft.
    How far from the truth was that.
    Cheers mate