Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF

Article about: Here is a tunic with a nice history behind it. The tunic belongs to William Henley-Mooney, who joined the USAS in 1918 and was assigned to the British. LT Mooney was assigned to the 211 squa

Default 1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF

Here is a tunic with a nice history behind it. The tunic belongs to William Henley-Mooney, who joined the USAS in 1918 and was assigned to the British. LT Mooney was assigned to the 211 squadron, RAF, and flew the D.H.9 on bombing runs with the RAF.

LT Mooney, on 26 September 1918 was assigned DH9 # D565 for a bombing raid on Courtrai. During a running fight including a reported 40 enemy aircraft, LT Mooney was shot down in flames. He was able to land D565, and was captured by German troops. His observer LT Fair, MC was killed in the fight.

The uniform is a strange mustard yellow, different than other tunics I have seen. The wings are British made variants.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF  

Default Re: 1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF

Collar brass.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF   1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF  

Another shot of the tunic with wound stripe noted.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF   1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF  

Nice jacket Chris. Is there a tailors label? I had a jacket to a infantry officer that was the same color. He was stationed in Italy.

Cheers
    Gary

Man Chris, Where do you find all that cool Aviation Stuff??

Really a unique jacket. Great Wing,

Best, Dennis

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    Indeed....
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Belleauwood View Post

Really a unique jacket. Great Wing,

Best, Dennis
    ROFL!!!!

From a guy that lives waaaaay up North and doesn't return phone calls. Rumor has it this individual has a big white beard and a red suit too

Hey! I live WAAY North too. Seriously.

Shall I go over to his house & say WTF! Chris has been waiting with bated breath for your return call. I don't know about a red suit, but I could show up in a green one & we're not talking about posing as one of Santa's helpers (just ask Steve for clarification...).

Great uniform, Chris. I've been silently watching some of your posts. Honestly, between you, Steve & Dennis, I'm at a loss for words. I could give you the typical "Thanks for posting, man" but that's not my style.

There's also a rumor floating around about your interest in the 258th Aero Squadron. I would love to touch base with you one day about this squadron because I have plenty of related info that was mixed in with a huge 3rd Photo Section grouping I picked up 2 years ago.
    Feel free to send me a PM...

-Chuck

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Hey! I live WAAY North too. Seriously.

Shall I go over to his house & say WTF! Chris has been waiting with bated breath for your return call. I don't know about a red suit, but I could show up in a green one & we're not talking about posing as one of Santa's helpers (just ask Steve for clarification...).

Great uniform, Chris. I've been silently watching some of your posts. Honestly, between you, Steve & Dennis, I'm at a loss for words. I could give you the typical "Thanks for posting, man" but that's not my style.

There's also a rumor floating around about your interest in the 258th Aero Squadron. I would love to touch base with you one day about this squadron because I have plenty of related info that was mixed in with a huge 3rd Photo Section grouping I picked up 2 years ago.
    Feel free to send me a PM...

-Chuck

Hi Chuck!!!

You might say I have a tad interest in the 258th

Growing obsession is more appropriate I think

PM on the way
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1LT William Henley-Mooney, USR, 211 Squadron RAF  

Quote by Chris L View Post
    Hi Chuck!!!

You might say I have a tad interest in the 258th

Growing obsession is more appropriate I think

PM on the way
    Holy Mackeral! Way cool display,,looks like DJ's house up in yankee land! Sweet wings and a sweet story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast