Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Article about: Surprise, surprise...today I received the book "Wild Blue Yonder" by Don Clark. In it, I found many interesting photos that I have never seen before. However, there ARE two that I

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Quote by Nordland/Danmark View Post
    that is a fantastic collection you got there, fantastic, and pleace show more, it very interesting...
    My pleasure...I will post many more photos over the next couple of days...stay tuned.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

3mk
    ?

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI

Indeed the Man who made the movie King Kong (Merian c Cooper)Fought in the Polish airforce just after World War 1.The Poles had some british rifles some american/British helmets and ALOT of U.S. Uniforms breeches great coats and wool and cotton shirts.

Cheers

Emil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

The following are a few shots of the highlights of the uniform...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Aviation cockade shoulder insignia made in theater, and in wool as was typical of that period.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

2nd, LT. bar in bullion.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Inside label of the tunic.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A couple of shots of the wing. This particular example as mentioned previously is the same exact wing worn in the photos on the identity booklets shown above. Note the cropped photo from the ID book. It is easy to see that the wing is the same as in the photo...the seam line on the uniform even lines up perfectly .

This wing is a US made example, and is almost certainly a product of the Armstrong Company of Chicago.

There are a couple of characteristics of the wing that identify it as being US made as opposed to a French example.

1. Thick padding under the bullion (French wings are fairly flat).
    2. Shape of the shield (French shields are typically more symmetrical with flat sides and gradual taper at the bottom).
    3. "Feathering" technique used to create each wing (French feathering is a conglomeration of small fine oval loops).
    4. Overall composition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI   2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  

2nd. Lt. Charles Hill, Aviator, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France WWI  
    Last edited by Steven M; 11-20-2009 at 04:07 AM.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steven, the uniform looks in such great shape for it's age !
    It's a fantastic piece ! ! ( Love the wing too ! )

Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Steven, the uniform looks in such great shape for it's age !
    It's a fantastic piece ! ! ( Love the wing too ! )

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks, the wing is indeed a beautiful example. I attribute the condition of the group to being stored in the original trunk. One note on the trunk...it still has the tiny skeleton key attached to the handle and the lock still works. This group was obviously a great source of pride to Charles as it has been so well cared for.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Original Commission document...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast