Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

617 Squadron Signatures

Article about: Hi Guys, Would like a hand to identify 7 of these signatures. Have include the full list of 25th Anniversary signatures and the ones I need a hand with. Regards, Shane

Default 617 Squadron Signatures

Hi Guys,
    Would like a hand to identify 7 of these signatures. Have include the full list of 25th Anniversary signatures and the ones I need a hand with.
    Regards,
    Shane
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 617 Squadron Signatures   617 Squadron Signatures  

I think the sixth one down is: rear gunner F. Tees (ED-910. "AJ-C").

The seventh one could be: Harlo "Terry" Taerum (ED-932. "AJ-G").

There seems to be a couple of "Alan's" in there (?).

The 'Terry' is the signature of New Zealander Richard Derek ' Terry ' Kearns DSO DFC DFM. Quite a scarce signature. He joined 617 after the Dams Raid and flew 30 ops with them ( he was previously in 75 & 156 (pff) Squadrons ). In addition to flying 617s Lancs, he also flew low-level Mosquitoes with them under Leonard Cheshire. He retired in 1980 so would have been at this 1968 reunion.

Still working through these, I believe that the fourth signature is that of 617 Adjutant Harry Humphries. His sig altered slightly over the years - I have a signed copy of his memoirs from 2003 where he's used his full name.

Thanks for the reply, I thought the seventh one might be Terry Taerum. Thanks for your thought on the others,

Regards,
    Shane

Hi Martin,
    Thanks for the reply never thought of Derek, hope you can help with the others. The signatures came from one of our local air gunners who flew with 617. He flew with Kell RAAF and Tait.
    Regards,
    Shane

Just going back to Torger 'Terry' Taerum - he died 16/9/43 as one of Holden's crew on the disastrous Dortmund-Ems Canal raid.

That's right, sometimes we forget that the ones that survived the dams raid were later killed .

Very sad that, and the thing is..

What would have happened if they had been shot down and captured?

I'm sure the Germans were looking at the press coverage of 617 Sqdn, and documenting the airmen who took part.

Les Knight's Lancaster was also shot down on the same Dortmund-Ems op ; they were the crew who breached the Eder Dam.

Les Knight kept the aircraft high enough to allow the whole crew to parachute to safety - but he died at the controls. The others spent the rest of the war 'in the bag' and most lived well into old age.