Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

91st Aero squadron fabric

Article about: by Chris L I wanted to share this amazing find with the group here. This isnt mine, but the owner said I could show it to everyone on the forum, and relate its history. Straight out of the w

Default 91st Aero squadron fabric

I wanted to share this amazing find with the group here. This isnt mine, but the owner said I could show it to everyone on the forum, and relate its history.

Straight out of the woodwork 91st Aero Squadron (Observation) panel. When saying, "out of the woodwork, I am not kidding". The panel was found by an art dealer, at an estate sale. The panel was sitting in the owner's garage if I have my facts straight.

The panel was then sold to my friend (for a modest price increase ) who begain to research the panel. Note the Knight has a pair 'o dice in the shield, rather than it being blank or having a 91 in it.

Photos follow
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 91st Aero squadron fabric   91st Aero squadron fabric  

Default Re: 91st Aero squadron fabric

Closeup of the knight, devil, and "0". Now the dice and the zero got everyone buzzing. "0" usually donated a squadron commander's plane. I had just seen a nice fabric fron the 91st at the Lafyette foundation two months ago, with a 91 in the shield. I was told, this signified a squadron commander's plane (and the panel was given to Dr Parks by a former squadron commander so it made sense.) So what did this mean?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 91st Aero squadron fabric   91st Aero squadron fabric  

91st Aero squadron fabric   91st Aero squadron fabric  

The collector did quite a bit of research on this panel, trying to put together the facts of: where it was found, the spar lenghts were shorter than expected inside, and the zero/dice.

To make a long story short, I am happy to present the pannel of one of two Spad XIII's flown by the 91st Aero Squadron (the only American observation squadron to operate two). Spad XIII number "zero" flown by 1LT Everett Cook, Squadron Commander, 91st Aero Squadron, DSC. Five shared victories in a Salmson 2A2 during the war.

So, that's where it went! I was wondering what happened to that auction when it popped up on Ebay. I had my finger on the trigger, waiting for my shot at the title but the auction was pulled, apparently because the seller was made an offer they couldn't refuse. OK. So it was a wet dream. I didn't think I had the chance to win it. It still didn't keep me from dreaming a little dream...

I saw you found the Cook photo. I was thinking of exactly the same thing when I read your initial post.

I'm not a fabric expert so I'm looking forward to reading more knowledgeable responses to this neat piece of aviation history.

-Chuck

Ok you were one of the ones that saw it Chuck I didnt even know it was out there. How did you find it?? I search a bunch of names on ebay, but I never thought to looks at where this was listed The panel was listed on Ebay, as a "St Geroge slaying the Dragon" painting. The seller did not know what it was, and stated so on the description. he still made a heck of a profit on the panel, so all is good. The buyer didnt know it was Cook's, just that is was a 91st panel.

The pair of dice, actually symbolize Cook's girlfriend at the time. I am not a craps player, but whatever is showing on the shield has a nickname in "dice" which ended up being his girlfriend's nickname. A fairly sweet significance!

It is amazing what pops up on ebay onces in a while. I am just thrilled where this ended up== because I know the buyer will take really good care of it.

Hi Chris, this is fantastic!

Please thank your friend for his kindness in allowing it to be shared with us here.

Cheers, Ade.

?

What a beautiful piece of Hoosier history!!!! Other than the whole aircraft, I am not sure if there is a better piece of aviation militaria that is related to the state of Indiana. Everett Cook was born in the Indianapolis area and is one of (IIRC) the four WWI aces that came from Indiana.

Incredible! Congratulate your friend on this find and please thank him for letting it be shared with us!

So when is your "friend" gonna sell it to you Chris??

ROFL!!!

When the Styx freezes, we might talk about it!

Chris,

I'm sure you will wind up with it!

Happy 4th of July!

DJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast