Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section

Article about: I found these photos on an internet auction site. The bidding is over \\$200 for the piece, personally, I don't like it. The design strikes me as coming from the imagination of a modern day de

Question AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section

I found these photos on an internet auction site. The bidding is over $200 for the piece, personally, I don't like it. The design strikes me as coming from the imagination of a modern day designer. I haven't seen anything like this on other patches, the attributed examples I have seen all have an actual balloon image in some form, not the aviation cockade stylized into the shape of a balloon. Also, there seems to be absolutely no wear whatsoever to the patch and the entire piece is machine sewn (of course there were machine sewn legitimate examples of insignia during the period), and the proportions are perfectly symmetrical in every measure. Am I wrong in thinking this is a modern day fantasy design?

What say you?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section   AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section  

Attached Images Attached Images AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section 
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section

Quote by Steven M View Post
    I found these photos on an internet auction site. The bidding is over $200 for the piece, personally, I don't like it. The design strikes me as coming from the imagination of a modern day designer. I haven't seen anything like this on other patches, the attributed examples I have seen all have an actual balloon image in some form, not the aviation cockade stylized into the shape of a balloon. Also, there seems to be absolutely no wear whatsoever to the patch and the entire piece is machine sewn (of course there were machine sewn legitimate examples of insignia during the period), and the proportions are perfectly symmetrical in every measure. Am I wrong in thinking this is a modern day fantasy design?

What say you?
    Steve,
    Your dead on. Completely fake. I would be totally ashamed to post something like this on e-bay or any other auction for that matter. I believe the dealer claims it comes from his fathers collection so he may not know good from bad.
    Terry

What say you?
    Steve,
    Here is another "JEWEL" currently on e-bay. Claims it comes from Scott Field balloon enlisted man. I am certainly no expert but I wouldn't touch this with your wallet. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

He also makes a statement that another patch sold for $1600 over the weekend. Missed that one, did you happen to see what it was that was worth that kind of money?

In ref to the patch you posted above, the same dealer has a 1st Army with the balloon between the legs, currently up over $300. I feel that is most likely a good patch. I have had two identical to it on Id'ed tunics.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section  

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    Here is another "JEWEL" currently on e-bay. Claims it comes from Scott Field balloon enlisted man. I am certainly no expert but I wouldn't touch this with your wallet. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

He also makes a statement that another patch sold for $1600 over the weekend. Missed that one, did you happen to see what it was that was worth that kind of money?

In ref to the patch you posted above, the same dealer has a 1st Army with the balloon between the legs, currently up over $300. I feel that is most likely a good patch. I have had two identical to it on Id'ed tunics.

Terry

Major,

No I didn't happen to see the one that went for $1600. I don't like the one you posted either...just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

Here is the other Balloon patch listed that you referred to. I yield to your experience and knowledge, but this one almost looks as if it from the same "shop" as the one I initially posted. However...I do like the fact that the balloon is hand-stitched and the way it is applied does look of the period
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section   AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section  

AEF, WWI First Army Patch, Balloon Section  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I'll toss my two bits into the discussion. The first 'patch' is made with a modern sewing machine. The second one is at least done on a hand feed sewing machine but the baloon itself looks like it is made with one of the computer controlled emboidery machines. I would need to see the back to know for sure.

Gary

Major,

No I didn't happen to see the one that went for $1600. I don't like the one you posted either...just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

Here is the other Balloon patch listed that you referred to. I yield to your experience and knowledge, but this one almost looks as if it from the same "shop" as the one I initially posted. However...I do like the fact that the balloon is hand-stitched and the way it is applied does look of the period
    Steve,
    After looking at the blow up I have say that I think you are absolutely correct in your evaluation. At first glance it looked good, I should have taken the time to look a bit closer. I could try to blame it on my old eyes going bad, or my "wife" made me say it, but when all is said and done I was to hasty in my observation and I stand corrected. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Terry

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    I'll toss my two bits into the discussion. The first 'patch' is made with a modern sewing machine. The second one is at least done on a hand feed sewing machine but the baloon itself looks like it is made with one of the computer controlled emboidery machines. I would need to see the back to know for sure.

Gary
    Gary,
    After seeing the close up picture posted by Steve I think that you are both right on. Good eyes.
    Terry

Major,

Steve,
    Attached are pictures of Sgt Walter Spellman's 1st Army Balloon Section patch. He was with the 11th Balloon Co. Notice the difference in embroidery on the balloon and in particular the color of the background material. All the originals I have seen have been this light yellow color.
    Terry

Steve,
    After looking at the blow up I have say that I think you are absolutely correct in your evaluation. At first glance it looked good, I should have taken the time to look a bit closer. I could try to blame it on my old eyes going bad, or my "wife" made me say it, but when all is said and done I was to hasty in my observation and I stand corrected. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Terry
    Well Major, just about everything I have learned about badge and patch construction came from reading yours and Mr. Campbell's books; even the best are entitled to have an "off" moment once in a while.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve,
    Attached are pictures of Sgt Walter Spellman's 1st Army Balloon Section patch. He was with the 11th Balloon Co. Notice the difference in embroidery on the balloon and in particular the color of the background material. All the originals I have seen have been this light yellow color.
    Terry
    Now THAT is a beautiful sight to behold. This makes a very good comparison reference. Thanks!

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast