Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Attention WWI aviation nerds,,check THIS patch out!

Article about: I include myself in the above statement! OK Which squadron are these guys from? I've seen or heard about this insignia, but I can't recall where or the details. How'd you like to find one of

Default Re: Attention WWI aviation nerds,,check THIS patch out!

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Terry-

Fascinating patch! The pin is interesting too. Thanks for making the effort to post the scan of these two rare items.

I hope you can find that image you mentioned because I sure would love to see it.

Regards,
    Chuck
    Chuch,
    Downloaded the wrong pic, hope it works better this time. Getting old and senile, sorry.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Attention WWI aviation nerds,,check THIS patch out!  

Terry-

Fascinating patch! The pin is interesting too. Thanks for making the effort to post the scan of these two rare items.

I hope you can find that image you mentioned because I sure would love to see it.

Regards,
    Chuck
    Chuck,

Attached is a pic of the tunic that I once owned. It belonged to a R.C. Levea, 1105th Aero Replacement Squadron.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Attention WWI aviation nerds,,check THIS patch out!  

Terry-

Thank you for posting these awesome photos. I admit Tom's photo was the first time I've seen this patch documented. Then, you gave me three more pieces to ponder. Wow. It's going to take me a little bit to take it all in...
    Thanks again for posting those scans.

Attention aviation nerds!
    (Excuse me Tom while I hijack the thread for a brief moment...)

This 1105th thread has me thinking about all of the unusual aero squadron insignia that has been documented, either through Gorrell's or in that famous article done by the Daughters of the Revolution. The 1105th comes to mind & a host of others, such as the smiling clown of the 161st Squadron. Does anyone have photographic proof of the 161st's insignia in use?

-Chuck

Terry-

Thank you for posting these awesome photos. I admit Tom's photo was the first time I've seen this patch documented. Then, you gave me three more pieces to ponder. Wow. It's going to take me a little bit to take it all in...
    Thanks again for posting those scans.

Attention aviation nerds!
    (Excuse me Tom while I hijack the thread for a brief moment...)

This 1105th thread has me thinking about all of the unusual aero squadron insignia that has been documented, either through Gorrell's or in that famous article done by the Daughters of the Revolution. The 1105th comes to mind & a host of others, such as the smiling clown of the 161st Squadron. Does anyone have photographic proof of the 161st's insignia in use?

-Chuck
    Chuck,
    My hats off to Tom for posting that great picture with the 1105th group. That and the pic I posted are the only ones I have ever seen ref that squadron. The only other squadron insignia that I have seen actually being worn as a shoulder sleeve insignia is the 169th. And I suspect that these were worn after the war. I have seen pictures of several 1st Army patches with squadron insignia embedded in the upper portion of the A and have seen pictures of the 1st Army Balloon Section, 2nd Army Balloon Section and 4th Corps Balloon Section, all with roundels and the blue balloon under the patch. Other than that I haven't seen pictorial confirmation of any other squadron insignia being worn as shoulder sleeve insignia. And I have looked at litterly thousands of aviation related pictures from the period.

Attached is a pic of Lt. John C. Bennett, 139th Aero Squadron.
    Terry

Terry-
    PHENOMENAL image! Love it! My guess is this was taken while Bennett was still 'Over There'. I'm basing that off the fact he's wearing a British-cut uniform, suicide strap & doesn't have a honorable discharge chevron. I imagine once he arrived Stateside, he'd have to ditch the non-regulation uniform.
    I love the detail on the SSI & other particulars of the uniform. This photographer definitely knew what he was doing!
    Wait a sec...I think I see the Honorable discharge stripe sticking out from a fold in the sleeve...

Terry-
    While we're on the topic of aviators & shoulder sleeve insignia, I figured I'd show the group this unusual image. I hope Tom doesn't mind...

What do you make of it? He's wearing a set of finely detailed aviation collar insignia, Colonel's rank (or Major?), a set of 1919 wings & a 79th Division patch.

-Chuck

PS I just started a thread on my one & only image showing a squadron pin (141st)...

Terry-
    While we're on the topic of aviators & shoulder sleeve insignia, I figured I'd show the group this unusual image. I hope Tom doesn't mind...

What do you make of it? He's wearing a set of finely detailed aviation collar insignia, Colonel's rank (or Major?), a set of 1919 wings & a 79th Division patch.

-Chuck

PS I just started a thread on my one & only image showing a squadron pin (141st)...
    Chuck,
    Interesting photo. I suspect that this is in the 1920 to 1925 period. The high collar was still being worn during that period both with the black buttons and gold buttons depending on the officers preference I suspect. It looks like the wing has an oval in the center rather than a shield which might be the wing badge for an aviator that could no longer fly because of injuries etc. That badge would be an observers badge with the US in the center. But its not to clear so can't be sure. Also during this period the aviation assets were at division level rather than Corps or Army so its possible he was in fact an aviator with a squadron in the 79th. A very nice picture regardless of his status and another example that there will always be questions as to army aviation during the early years. Thanks for showing, everyday is a learning experience.
    Terry

Terry-

My pleasure. I'm sorry I didn't post such a good scan. Here's another attempt at bringing out those details we enjoy so much. This should give you a much better idea as to what style of wings he's wearing.

-Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images Attention WWI aviation nerds,,check THIS patch out! 

Terry-

My pleasure. I'm sorry I didn't post such a good scan. Here's another attempt at bringing out those details we enjoy so much. This should give you a much better idea as to what style of wings he's wearing.

-Chuck
    Chuck,

Thanks, much better. Most likely he was the commander of the aviation squadron in the division in the early 20's. Do you have a name on him?

Terry

Terry-

I do not. However, we just might be able to ID him easily enough by figuring out the interwar composition of the 79th Division. The only problem is...where do I find the resource?

-Chuck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast