Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Aviation art prints and photo collector

Article about: Here she is that day. Theft was a consideration but no runway at home or hanger....................

Default Aviation art prints and photo collector

Are there any others here ? Frank Wootton is probably my favorite but go generally by simply liking a specific print.

I also look for period photographs where the original negative available is high enough quality for a large size print (like the prototype B-17 shown)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aviation art prints and photo collector   Aviation art prints and photo collector  

Aviation art prints and photo collector   Aviation art prints and photo collector  

Aviation art prints and photo collector  

Default Re: Aviation art prints and photo collector

Very nice Mark! I often thought about collecting some Bomber Command prints as they are all so evocative

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Except for Japan being a tad sparse in selection (only found 2 I like) most any country and aircraft type is available by various artists. Fortunatly I do a lot of framing so that cost is low, often it can be as much or more as the print if you want it done correctly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aviation art prints and photo collector   Aviation art prints and photo collector  

Aviation art prints and photo collector   Aviation art prints and photo collector  

Here is a place to start, to see various artists, etc, and has a search engine for aircraft types

Aviation Art from Brooks Aviation Art - art prints by Robert Taylor, Nicolas Trudgian, Heinz Krebs and many more

Hi, great pieces. Here is a link showing a few of my pieces: Military Related Art

Very nice collection Mark.
    I must say I do have a soft spot ww2 aviation art myself even though I only own one print myself.
    I like your P-61 and the Beaufighter prints mate,very cool.
    All the best
    Dave

Naval and ground seems like considerably less available, and a lot of it is rather poor.

Years ago I hired an artist to do portraits of Waffen-SS KC holders. Not huge, 11 x 17, but had some printed and took them with me to Europe during Regiment "Der Führer" reunions for the 3 individuals to sign. Here are Ernst August Krag (EL), Otto Baum (Swords), and KC and Close Combat Clasp in Gold holder Sepp Lainer. The 50 Krag sold to friends rather fast, did 100 Baum and 125 Lainer. Sad all 3 award holders are all gone now. I always forget still have a few of the Lainer and Baum.

Lady who did them was 20 at the time, the likeness and detail are amazing. Because I was on a shoestring budget there was the 11 x 17 print size limitation, but room for the KC holder and artist to sign each print (and she numbered them). But for me most fun was giving all 3 men the original portrait. They were 50-60% bigger than the print images. Made me happy to get eventual photos of them framed hanging in their homes. Typical of most Waffen-SS vets, Krag wanted most of all to be sure his Wound Badge in Gold was shown, more important to him personally than the Oakleaves, the latter he always said was awarded "for what my men did."

Disappointing the artist moved (school) a great distance so was unable to get portraits done of 2 others who wanted them (Karl Ullrich and Heinz Macher). The Baum image is in volume 1 of "Waffen-SS Commanders."

All other Waffen-SS prints I've found were tiny and a few others of poor quality (2 portraits with no resemblance to the subject). But 1 of Hans Hauser I like, done by someone who basically did Luftwaffe aces.

I have a few aviation prints I got in an auction. Stilled rolled up in the shipping container. One day I will get a room I can hang them in.

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Very nice collection Mark.
    I must say I do have a soft spot ww2 aviation art myself even though I only own one print myself.
    I like your P-61 and the Beaufighter prints mate,very cool.
    All the best
    Dave
    It's taken forever and not yet done, but 20 minutes from where I live is the ongoing restoration of what will be the only flyable P-61. Makes me nervous when a sole example flies, like the 109G in the UK. And the P-61 (my favorite US fighter) is an electrical nightmare. Print shows the P-61 that scored the final official kill in the Pacific.

Here is a link to see numerous images of the P-61 restoration and its current progress.

MID-ATLANTIC AIR MUSEUM - THE WIDOWS WEB - P-61 - THE RESTORATION

1 time a year a huge airshow there. A couple years ago I saw my first Hawker Sea Fury fly there, my favorite Brit fighter. I damn near needed a pill when she was fired up.

Gday Mark,
    Thanks for the link mate.The P-61 was certainly a beast of a night fighter.The best allied airframe in it's class IMO.
    I to have never forgotten the sound a Bristol Centauras makes.I saw and heard my first Sea Fury when I was around 12 years of age at the now many years defunct Launceston Airshow here in Tasmania and never forgot the experience. It oozed and crackled pure power and I was amazed at it's overall size for a single seat fighter.It was my first air show and being very interested in WW2 aircraft it was an eye opener for a young bloke that's for sure. Saw my first P-51 and Spit there also.Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with the sound of those Merlins but the Centauras was something out of this world.
    Thanks for reminding me and allowing me to see it and hear it in my minds eye.(For want of a better way to put it).
    Cheers mate and all the best
    Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast