Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Aviation art prints and photo collector

Article about: Here she is that day. Theft was a consideration but no runway at home or hanger....................

Default Re: Aviation art prints and photo collector

Here she is that day. Theft was a consideration but no runway at home or hanger....................
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aviation art prints and photo collector   Aviation art prints and photo collector  

Cool banana's Mark

I love this print by Robert Taylor 'Winter Homecoming'

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aviation art prints and photo collector  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Mark C Yerger View Post
    Naval and ground seems like considerably less available, and a lot of it is rather poor.

Years ago I hired an artist to do portraits of Waffen-SS KC holders. Not huge, 11 x 17, but had some printed and took them with me to Europe during Regiment "Der Führer" reunions for the 3 individuals to sign. Here are Ernst August Krag (EL), Otto Baum (Swords), and KC and Close Combat Clasp in Gold holder Sepp Lainer. The 50 Krag sold to friends rather fast, did 100 Baum and 125 Lainer. Sad all 3 award holders are all gone now. I always forget still have a few of the Lainer and Baum.

Lady who did them was 20 at the time, the likeness and detail are amazing. Because I was on a shoestring budget there was the 11 x 17 print size limitation, but room for the KC holder and artist to sign each print (and she numbered them). But for me most fun was giving all 3 men the original portrait. They were 50-60% bigger than the print images. Made me happy to get eventual photos of them framed hanging in their homes. Typical of most Waffen-SS vets, Krag wanted most of all to be sure his Wound Badge in Gold was shown, more important to him personally than the Oakleaves, the latter he always said was awarded "for what my men did."

Disappointing the artist moved (school) a great distance so was unable to get portraits done of 2 others who wanted them (Karl Ullrich and Heinz Macher). The Baum image is in volume 1 of "Waffen-SS Commanders."

All other Waffen-SS prints I've found were tiny and a few others of poor quality (2 portraits with no resemblance to the subject). But 1 of Hans Hauser I like, done by someone who basically did Luftwaffe aces.
    Excellent portraits and having them signed by the vets was a real bonus. Well done.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

My best Robert Taylor

Aviation art prints and photo collectorAviation art prints and photo collectorAviation art prints and photo collector

Bugger it's just another one of Daves cut out collages.
    Amazing what you can do with old magazines and a small frame. The funny thing is good quality mag images last for years. This one would be at least 15 years old for sure and I have older ones, sad I know.....
    The only "real" aviation print I own is Gerald Coulson's "Johnny Come's Home". Johnny Johnsons MK IX Spit over the Channel. It's to dark in my room to get a good image without reflection off the glass, I had enough trouble with the pox collage, so sorry about the poor quality of the images folks.
    Have a good one all
    Dave

I have the problem of a lot of interests interrupted by the time needed to sleep. Beating the life clock of those 1-2 generations is always frustrating and you can only contact so many. Here of some of my US aces larger format photos, all kindly inscribed to me personally by them. As a self proclaimed "propeller head" I assume their names not needed !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aviation art prints and photo collector   Aviation art prints and photo collector  

Aviation art prints and photo collector   Aviation art prints and photo collector  

?

I love the pic's of the B17's. I really like the pic of the Model 299. This is one of my favorites by Heinz Krebs
    The last Man Standing 13 April 1944. I was friends with the man who was flying that lone B17 from the 384th BG 545th BS to make it back that day. 6 out of 7 were shot down. My Uncle was shot down on that mission to Schweinfurt and Lt Dewayne Bennet was the left wing man to the B17 Mrs Geezil when she was hit by 20mm's fired by the 15 FW 190's that attacked them that day. Ben passed in March 0f 2011, But he will always be remembered . I have a small print of this pic's.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks AZPhil

I love the earlier small tailed B-17s best, here is another of B-17Ds given to me by Ed Wells as was the 299 ground shot image, both from Boeing archive negs. He headed the B-17 design team and as a later VP of the company took time (from a schedule with better to do) to exchange letters with a 12 year old who sent him design improvement suggestions for the B-17 (me). The inscribed B-17E photo from him is one of the first "items" I owned and still display proudly. Between 2 B-17 photos he signed is one from Jay Zeamer who won the MOH as a B-17 pilot in the specific. The mission won 2 MOHs for the crew, to my knowledge the only time this happened.

Here is one you won't see often. Sepia tone, unique angle you'd never get in a photo. When I bought it new, with postage and shipping, cost me $1 (one dollar). Yes, awhile ago
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aviation art prints and photo collector  

Another great print. Congrats
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast