Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British aircraft

Article about: by Wolfspear Thanks Karaya I have not seen that version before Nick The shortnosed one is a Mk 1, and apparently the oldest version..? The other, more commonly seen is a Mk 4 and it was used

Default Re: British aircraft

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Thanks Karaya

I have not seen that version before

Nick
    The shortnosed one is a Mk 1, and apparently the oldest version..? The other, more commonly seen is a Mk 4 and it was used also as a kind of heavy fighter with ventral gunpack ( 4x .303 browning´s ) with little succes. Imagine meeting a pack of prowling Me 109´s in your twin engined, hardpressed 250 mph, 8 ton Blenheim ```fighter´´ and then take them on
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British aircraft   British aircraft  

Hello-Ju 86 would be South African ex civil airliner used as a bomber transport, the Bristol Blenheim Fighter variant was not intended to mix it with single seaters but as an improvised heavy interceptor like the Bf110-not very successful but led to the related 'Whispering Death' Bristol Beaufighter via the Beaufort torpedo bomber-great photos of various rarely seen types that were major players early in the war: Gloster Gladiators, Fiat CR42s, Savoia Marchetti SM79s, Marylands etc

AMAZING post and photos! Thanks guys for posting them.

yes thanks indeed,,,do you have any more?..

Quote by militarymania View Post
    yes thanks indeed,,,do you have any more?..
    Last 3 are from what was RAE Farnborough

British aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraft

British aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraftBritish aircraft

What an excellent thread! The first batch of pic's must have been taken during the East African Campaign of 1940-41, a virtually unheard of, and long forgotten, part of the war before the later battles of the North African Campaign when the allies gave the Italians a damned good thrashing!

As can be seen by the photo's, the aircraft available to the RAF/SAAF were a hotch-potch of random and obsolete types on the whole. The story is a fascinating one and details can be found on this Wiki thread, it's well worth a squint.

East African Campaign (World War II) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2