Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Dakota arrives at RAF Metheringham

Article about: Last week RAF Metheringham in Lincolnshire received a new addition to its visitors centre. I was privileged to be able to crawl all over even though the museum is closed until the Spring!! R

Default Dakota arrives at RAF Metheringham

Last week RAF Metheringham in Lincolnshire received a new addition to its visitors centre.

I was privileged to be able to crawl all over even though the museum is closed until the Spring!! The wings and tail plane were not even fixed on I was that quick

RAF Metheringham was a WW2 Lancaster airfield however during D-Day Dakota's landed there with wounded as Nocton Hall military hospital was close by.

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dakota arrives at RAF Metheringham   Dakota arrives at RAF Metheringham  

Dakota arrives at RAF Metheringham   Dakota arrives at RAF Metheringham  

Dakota arrives at RAF Metheringham  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Looks like you were enjoying yourself Nick!

Here's some info and recent news about the aircraft, some of it rather worrying if it's true.....

Dakota for Metheringham?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Good stuff. Not much left of the Control Tower now. I remember photographing it a number of years ago when it was largely intact.

Great photos!...

Quote by big ned View Post
    Here's some info and recent news about the aircraft, some of it rather worrying if it's true.....

Dakota for Metheringham?
    There was certainly some nasty damage under the fuselage from the transportation !
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    There was certainly some nasty damage under the fuselage from the transportation !
    Quite. It may now be a right off as far as their previously expressed desire to return it to flight or even the lesser goal of taxying condition. And no hangarage available on an unsecured site besides the apparent lack of direction shown by the trustees of the aircraft so far doesn't bode well for the future of this historic airframe. Not a good start all around really is it??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Especially if they let Nick in the cockpit to twiddle knobs as he pleases!