Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Discussion: US WWI Bullion Wing - Real~or~Fake?

Article about: Thanks for the thoughts and opinions so far guys! I must say that there are definitely some great comments and serious study of the piece here so far by all. "Ain't" this fun...

Question Discussion: US WWI Bullion Wing - Real~or~Fake?

Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion on the wing posted below. I have formed my opinion on it already, but I want to hear from YOU. Let's use this as a learning experience, and don't be afraid to post your opinion. This forum is for friends, and all will be treated as such - no matter the opinion. What say you... or ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Discussion: US WWI Bullion Wing - Real~or~Fake?   Discussion: US WWI Bullion Wing - Real~or~Fake?  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Discussion: US WWI Bullion Wing - Real~or~Fake?

OK, I'll be the first guinea pig! This one is not for me. I do not like the asymetrical cut of the base material, nor do I like the coppery color of the bullion (though that could be an effect of the lighting).
    The wool looks to be of a finer grade then was used on the original wings and the backing looks like the more recent buckram found on the better Pakistani made items. Additionally the toning on the front does not match the back. I do however like the rendering of the US. I do not however like the 'squatness' of the rest of the wing. It doesn't flow like the earlier wings. That being said we have seen some real oddballs that are period so that is not a hard and fast rule quite obviously.

I just noticed this thread and i have an item similar to this bullion wing....what do you think about mine??????
    Thanks....dave h
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Discussion: US WWI Bullion Wing - Real~or~Fake?   Discussion: US WWI Bullion Wing - Real~or~Fake?  

Quote by SADolch View Post
    I just noticed this thread and i have an item similar to this bullion wing....what do you think about mine??????
    Thanks....dave h
    Hi Dave,

Let's get some more opinions on the wing I posted first as any input on yours may or may not lead others to a conclusion not based on the study of the initial wing.

I am trying to see if the "original" and "fake" wing pinned threads have been of any help in determining good from bad...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Any one else want to play?????

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I wish I knew enough to play!

Quote by angels one five View Post
    I wish I knew enough to play!
    Come on now, I now that you have seen the original and fake threads, and we have corresponded by e-mail several times...don't be shy, give it a shot. This isn't about "bragging" about knowledge. We ALL can learn.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Absolutely! These things are so rare that with few exceptions no one has had a chance to handle one up close. I was at the Flayderman auction a few years ago and even he had some items I thought were not correct. Of course I had the benefit of a couple of decades of Cross & Cockade to draw on that he didn't. And....I might very well have been wrong

Gary
    Quote by Steven M View Post
    Come on now, I now that you have seen the original and fake threads, and we have corresponded by e-mail several times...don't be shy, give it a shot. This isn't about "bragging" about knowledge. We ALL can learn.

I would have to vote with Gary, although my experience level is far below some of the people on the forum.

The backs I dont like. They remind me a lot of the Pakistani Waffen SS repro collar tabs that I see coming out of the East.

I like the US, but something on the border of the wings throws me. These would be considered US made wings right? The Fench wings I have are all very fine in their border, and the Canadian/British in my collection the border is smoother and goes down further on the wing base.

The backing is big, I have seen photos of big backings, but the irregularity of the cut is strange. I have not seen too many professional tailors spend so much time on embroidery, to make such a sloppy cut.

OK, Steve. I'll give it a shot.

I like the embroidery. The wings and shield are finely detailed, and well made. And, the wings are symmetrical to the backing.

Could the cloth have been (poorly) re-cut, say, after removal from a tunic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast