Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Early french pilots licence

Article about: Awarded to: Capitaine Gilbert Casse. Dated 3 March 1911. I have found an online site that states: Les vingt premiers pilotes brevetés militaires: 7. Cne Gilbert Félix Brutus Casse (Génie) -

?

Default Re: Early french pilots licence

Hello everybody,
    Just to try and keep the interest alive I'd like to submit this for your thoughts. I know what it is BUT, you'll notice that it is of excepional quality in comparison with all the examples I've seen on various sites, most of which are the ones with 5 digit numbers indented on the lower reverse. It is without doubt made of silver and gold, the real wow is the number on the reverse "18" which is engraved. Also no makers mark at all. My thoughts are that it is an early piece where no expense seems to have been spared, so I would love to put a name to the number if at all possible.I've asked several people if there's a register of recipients but have so far come up against a brick wall. Any help would really be appreciated.
    What a wonderful forum this is!
    Best wishes,
    Dragon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early french pilots licence  

mjw
    ?

Hello Dragon,

I would be interested in viewing the obverse side of this badge if possible.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

?

Hello Malcolm,
    I'll try posting the obverse picture now. I'm struggling a bit to get the pictures to below the required maximum kb. Here goes.
    Best regards,
    Dragon
    Attached Images Attached Images Early french pilots licence 

mjw
    ?

Hello Dragon,

Thank you for including this image. It is certainly an interesting piece!

Kind regards, Malcolm.

?

Hi Malcolm,
    I have no early French references but this item was something I just couldn't refuse when it was offered. The workmanship is just so much in a different class than the ones I have found images of on the web. As I said there are no makers marks, no metal content marks just the engraved 18.
    The earliest badge I have see was "Tombac" with gold and silver wash in the appropriate areas. That was maker marked with an italic capital B (Bertrand perhaps?) and stamped 4277. Mine looks like a presentation piece in comparison. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Best wishes,
    Dragon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2