Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron

Article about: Beautiful Dennis! The condition, and the colors of that are amazing. And your display is just fantastic. Love the way the museum is coming together!!!

Default Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron

This panel was taken from the fuselage of a Breguet 2 seater by a Lt. W.C. Ross in 1918. I'm not sure what Lt. Ross's duties were, but he is listed in the "Officers in the Zone of Advance", placing him "at the Front". ........... The panel is that of the French 39th Salmson Squadron and I'm a little unclear as to why the description under the glass reads "Breguet", unless the 39th was upgraded to Salmsons at a later date. ..........Lt. Ross's walking stick was obtained by me several years ago with no knowledge that a panel existed. I purchased the panel from the same individual last year and it wasn't until a few months ago that I noticed they were both from Lt. Ross. My friend who sold me the panel had forgotten about the walking stick!............. Who said this ain't fun??.........Wide shot provided to show the size of the panel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron   Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron  

Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron   Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron  

Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron   Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron  

Default Re: Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron

Sweet Jesus.....

Fun? Heck yea!!

Incredible, I can see the ribbing support marks in the photo and on the piece today in the identical places...like looking back in time...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

While not the exact one shown in the period photo (lots of differences in ths shape of the rabbit) it is certainly cut from one of the Sqd's aircraft.

You cannot beat named items. I really like the research potential in these kinds of things!

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    While not the exact one shown in the period photo (lots of differences in ths shape of the rabbit) it is certainly cut from one of the Sqd's aircraft.

You cannot beat named items. I really like the research potential in these kinds of things!

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

Your 100% correct - Not the same panel that's in the photograph. Several subtlle differences. That image is used for verification purposes only. The names shown in the last mage are the names of the pilots in the photo.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Cheers, Ade.
    I knew that....uhhhh...I was just seeing if you were paying attention Ade... Seriously, even though not the same panel, I am still taken by how the ribbing lines line up horizontally in the same positions.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

That is in remarkable condition!

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    That is in remarkable condition!
    I thnk that part of the reason that the condition is in such wonderful shape is due to the fact that is was framed so long ago. There is no folding or evidence of being tightly rolled as my 99th panel was. On the back of the frame, galvanized metal strapes provide support to the frame. The nails through the strapes are blued (now rusting) metal. Lt. Ross must have spent a great deal of money for the time to have it framed. It's one of the best panels that I seen for condition.

DJ

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    I thnk that part of the reason that the condition is in such wonderful shape is due to the fact that is was framed so long ago. There is no folding or evidence of being tightly rolled as my 99th panel was. On the back of the frame, galvanized metal strapes provide support to the frame. The nails through the strapes are blued (now rusting) metal. Lt. Ross must have spent a great deal of money for the time to have it framed. It's one of the best panels that I seen for condition.

DJ
    Wonderful piece of aviation history. I love these squadron insignia, originals are few and far between. Your collection keeps getting better and better, keep it up.
    Terry

Quote by Belleauwood View Post

DJ
    Dennis,
    Attached is my remaining panel a "Capitol Dome" taken from a Douglas 02-H, one of the Office of the Chief of Air Corps, Bolling Field aircraft, by Duncan Campbell in 1934. Wish I had known that you had the French panel, I just recently let go of my French roundel taken off a downed plane by a RFC pilot, it would have looked great alonside your "bunny rabbit".
    Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron  Fabric Panel...... 39th French Salmson Squadron 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast