MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings

Article about: Steve, My sincere thanks to you for your work so far in this thread. My knowledge lies is WWI, and I admit that I know little about WWII wings comparatively. I look forward to learning from

Default Re: FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings

Steve,

My sincere thanks to you for your work so far in this thread. My knowledge lies is WWI, and I admit that I know little about WWII wings comparatively. I look forward to learning from your experience, and I am sure others will benefit as well...thanks!!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Steve,

My sincere thanks to you for your work so far in this thread. My knowledge lies is WWI, and I admit that I know little about WWII wings comparatively. I look forward to learning from your experience, and I am sure others will benefit as well...thanks!!
    Thanks, Steven.

I have been down a rough road with some of this material since I started many years ago. Other unrelated interests have also kept me from focusing entirely on U.S. aviation badges of WWII, but I've had fun and learned a lot from studying the scant few books available.

I now find that a lot of dealers on-line and at militaria shows are trying to sell post-war wings and restrikes as WWII pieces. They've refered to them as "late war". I've also seen some wicked copies by N.S.Meyer and L.G.Balfour which have scared me somewhat. It has paid off though to have read up on the subject, and I'm grateful to these authors !

I've really only scratched the surface with the wings shown.

It would be great to see input from other wing collectors -
    I know we're a small group !

Regards,

Steve.

Walkwolf what do you think about this set of wings I just picked up. To me the detail looked good and symmetrical and the clasp is a little better quality than others I have seem. Also from the style is there a company you might be able to attribute it to?
    Thanks,
    Brandon

FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal WingsFAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings

I like them Brandon !

Were these from ebay ? ( I may have seen them... )

If I had to put a maker to this set, I'd say possibly N.S. Meyer, or Gemsco
    due to the edging around the shield, but this is also the most common
    pattern and was produced by several makers - the sharing
    or copying of dies was likely a regular occurrence.
    Regards,

Steve.

Yeah I got them on ebay a few weeks back. I only have 3 pairs from ebay because I am always afraid of fakes. I'm looking for a pair of navigators wings right now for display.

Gday all,
    A super bad set of US Balloon wings.
    FAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal WingsFAKE World War II Allied Cloth, Bullion & Metal Wings

Lead based alloy with incorrect pins.
    Cheers
    Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2