Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ju52 crash in Switzerland

Article about: Crash: Ju-Air JU52 at Piz Segnas on Aug 4th 2018, impacted terrain By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Aug 4th 2018 17:34Z, last updated Sunday, Aug 5th 2018 07:16Z A Ju-Air Junkers JU-52 (

My condolences to the victims and their families.

IMO, WW2 aircraft should not be flown anymore--they are now 80 year old historical artifacts, and the wreck of each one deprives future generations from seeing it.

I think more vintage aircraft owners should follow the example of Paul Allen, who keeps his in "fly-ready" condition, and allows them to taxi without taking off, so people can still experience the sights and sounds of these vintage aircraft.

A tragedy all around.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

This may also have been the one seen in the 1969 movie "Battle of Britain". Tragic accident.

ALL planes should have "Black Boxes" - no questions asked - bare minimum.

The plane apparently went vertically straight down (?)..

some thing seems odd here.

Hope the investigators can find the answers.

IMO, WW2 aircraft should not be flown anymore--they are now 80 year old historical artifacts, and the wreck of each one deprives future generations from seeing it.

I think more vintage aircraft owners should follow the example of Paul Allen, who keeps his in "fly-ready" condition, and allows them to taxi without taking off, so people can still experience the sights and sounds of these vintage aircraft.

Then almost all of the B-52's would have to be retired from service too!

Quote by stonemint View Post
    My condolences to the victims and their families.

A tragedy all around.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but all vintage aircraft have to meet very strict regulations before they are allowed to fly. And it is all very well seeing them taxiing around an airfield, but it is in the air that they truly look majestic. As sad as the crash of the Ju 52 is, there was also another crash that day, and that too resulted in loss of life. There is speculation that both crashes might have been caused by the very hot weather. It doesn't mean that just because an aircraft is old it is more likely to crash. But it is truly a terrible tragedy for the families involved in both accidents.

The point of my post is not with regard to the age of the aircraft (or airworthiness), but the rarity of the same.
    Now there are only 7 airworthy examples left, only 2 of which have original BMW engines.

To me, it is akin to wearing the tunics/hats/helmet/etc we collect--they are meant for preservation for future generations as historical artifacts.

I would argue that there are enough survivor's of most aircraft types that cannot fly for one reason or another - which fill the need for people to get up close and look. There are just two airworthy Lancaster's left - with another that is 'almost' airworthy, but there are several survivors dotted around the globe in various museums. I saw both Lancaster's flying together at Southport air show when the Canadian example came over for a visit. Now for me, the sight of two Lancaster's and eight Merlin engines roaring in the sky was far better than seeing a static display example. I do understand the point you make though, and I do agree with you about the other point you make. Clothing is not as durable!

Cheers,
    Steve.

Quote by stonemint View Post
    The point of my post is not with regard to the age of the aircraft (or airworthiness), but the rarity of the same.
    Now there are only 7 airworthy examples left, only 2 of which have original BMW engines.

To me, it is akin to wearing the tunics/hats/helmet/etc we collect--they are meant for preservation for future generations as historical artifacts.
    I told a friend of mine that kind of sentiment about how he drives his 1970 Boss 429 Mustang. There are not many of them, but he insists that just looking at it is missing the whole point of having it. If he doesn't drive it and enjoy it, he doesn't want to have it. I see both sides of the debate and both are valid. I do quite enjoy seeing the old war birds flying though. There is a place not too far from me where there are some WW 1 planes still flying exhibitions during the summer.

Back when I was a Boy Scout, I got to fly in this Ford Tri Motor (they call them the "tin goose") from Port Clinton, Ohio to Put in Bay in Lake Erie--an experience I will never forget.

Unfortunately, this plane crashed 2 years after I flew in it (no loss of life, if I recall right). Gorgeous piece of aviation:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju52 crash in Switzerland  

Here it is in it's cinematic glory (one of my fave war movies as a kid):"Where Eagles Dare"--
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju52 crash in Switzerland  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast