Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kelly Field in the Great War book

Article about: I have been offered this lot for \\$200.00 US is it worth it? The book is in great shape. The photo is in nice shape minus the folds. Gary

?

Default Kelly Field in the Great War book

I have been offered this lot for $200.00 US is it worth it? The book is in great shape. The photo is in nice shape minus the folds. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kelly Field in the Great War book   Kelly Field in the Great War book  

Kelly Field in the Great War book   Kelly Field in the Great War book  

Default re: Kelly Field in the Great War book

Hi Gary, this is not my field of collecting, but here is a book search company I have used several times with sucess:

Kelly Field in the Great War - AbeBooks

As you will see, they have various copies listed starting at $50 and going upwards to $360. But yours looks a really nice example.

Cheers, Ade.

That is a great book. The inscription and personal note from the author makes it really special. The question is how much more of a premium is it worth because of this? The book itself is fairly hard to find, and inscribed examples are even tougher. You may want to see if any notable names appear - again, that may increase value to some, but not make much of a difference to others.

For the general aviation collector who dabbles in all wars with various aviation items, I think it may be a wee bit on the high side. However, for the advanced/focused collector of WWI airfield material and groupings, I think it may be worth the price.

I guess it is subjective, a quick search on the net did not yield any period examples for price comparison. In short, I would like it MUCH better at about $165.00...but this is just one man's opinion
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Ade thanks I just looked at that site. I dont know if his adding to the book hurt it or made it worth more. Thanks again Gary

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gary, this is not my field of collecting, but here is a book search company I have used several times with sucess:

Kelly Field in the Great War - AbeBooks

As you will see, they have various copies listed starting at $50 and going upwards to $360. But yours looks a really nice example.

Cheers, Ade.

That is a good site Ade, I'll have to add it to my favorites.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve does the photo increase the price much. Gary

It is a good site, I am sure you will all find it useful

If it was my field of collecting, I think I would consider paying the $200. To me the inscription adds to it, but book collectors might disagree.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Ade thanks I just looked at that site. I dont know if his adding to the book hurt it or made it worth more. Thanks again Gary
    Personal inscriptions in books can go either way, some people prefer nothing in them (especially if the person it is inscribed to is not notable). It may be worth searching for the persons name to see if there was any association to a pilot who may have been an instructor from the words inscribed, it is quite possible...perhaps there is someone listed in the book under the same last name as the recipient. If you can make that connection, I think it is worth every bit of the asking price (and more).

EDIT: In case you don't know, the reference to "Silver Stripes" refers to service stripes worn by stateside men (Instructors included). Gold "stripes" or chevrons were worn by overseas personnel.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Steve if you look in the menu from 1918 he was listed as one of the cooks but from the inscription it sounds like he became a pilot. Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Steve does the photo increase the price much. Gary
    Hi Gery,

yes, the condition of the coloring does add to the value. Sometimes you will find these (and others of the period) with the impression of the shape still detectable, but the color has long gone. Some of the pigments used were/have become fragile and will sometimes rub off with a wet cloth - so the condition of this one appears to be excellent.

BTW...I just noticed that there is a John Marx listed in the book as a cook...perhaps his inscription was referring to himself serving stateside.??

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast