Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Lancaster Bomb Arming Switch Panel

Article about: Hi all. I don't really go for aircraft instruments, but this one I find particularly evocative. Picked it up a couple of days ago from an auction. Looks to be in good condition. I haven't do

Default Lancaster Bomb Arming Switch Panel

Hi all. I don't really go for aircraft instruments, but this one I find particularly evocative. Picked it up a couple of days ago from an auction. Looks to be in good condition. I haven't done much research yet but I presume each switch indicates a bomb rack, and the operator could choose settings such as salvo, distributor and jettison by turning the knob on the side. Its a cool piece of militaria although also a very sobering one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancaster Bomb Arming Switch Panel   Lancaster Bomb Arming Switch Panel  

Lancaster Bomb Arming Switch Panel   Lancaster Bomb Arming Switch Panel  

a nice buy well done.

?

Very nice James I don't know sod all about aircraft parts but this does make a good display piece & a good talking point!!. Cheers Terry.

I think you found yourself a little "heavy" gem there. I particularly love the Kings crown Air Ministry mark to the board. You can always trust us Brits to mark something/label it/place it in the inventory/log it and then let the bits be traceable!! Great find ,well done, Leon.

?

A very nice piece. Amazing how enormous wartime electronics was. The actual release timing mechanism was clockwork! Your device was fitted to several bomber types but here is a mock up of a Lanc bomb aimers panel. It was mounted on the right side of the fuselage on the edge of the nose blister.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancaster Bomb Arming Switch Panel  

Thats great Ian, nice to see the unit in context. Thanks for the comments guys.

That's odd I picked up one of these also in the week
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancaster Bomb Arming Switch Panel  

P12ACJ
    ?

On the subject of bomb aimers panels, I've been collecting parts to construct one. However, I have no idea what material the units were mounted on. I've assumed that it was plywood sheet with an aluminium facing as this would seem have been strong and light. Would appreciate anyone's input on the materials I should use to construct?

?

The panel was folded aluminium sheet, like most wartime aircraft. I made mine from laser cut acrylic, as it was easier to cut square holes. I based it on this scanned drawing, unfortunately it's a bit indistinct. A couple of the switches and junction boxes are from a scrapping site so may be actual Lancaster. Good luck with your project.