Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lancaster 'Just Jane' Now & Then !

Article about: scrap that now iv'e read your post properly,third Lancaster obviously not City of Lincoin,think I'll stick to all things American....

Default Lancaster 'Just Jane' Now & Then !

Here is the beautiful Jane today at East Kirkby and in 1953 in French Maritime colours

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancaster 'Just Jane' Now & Then !   Lancaster 'Just Jane' Now & Then !  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Nick are you sure this the same plane ????? As the top picture it has 1 left hand engine & on the bottom picture 2 ???.. Only joking of course.. I went there last summer & I must say it is a top dollar place..might go again this summer too. Thanks for the info. Cheers Terry.

Jane in Blackpool in the 1970's

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lancaster 'Just Jane' Now & Then !  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

What's she doing there any ideas??. Cheers Terry.

Never heard of this plane Nick thought the Sally B was the only one left this side of the Atlantic?sorry to sound a bit thick.....

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Never heard of this plane Nick thought the Sally B was the only one left this side of the Atlantic?sorry to sound a bit thick.....
    Sally B is a B17 Flying Fortress mate.

Just Jane is a Lancaster that fires up her four Merlins and does public taxy runs.

Here is some footage:

Just Jane Lancaster Bomber NX611 Taxi Run 2.7.2008 - YouTube

She will hopefully soon be the worlds third airworthy Lancaster

Nick

Quote by Tango View Post
    What's she doing there any ideas??. Cheers Terry.
    Here you go Terry

Temporarily grounded, due to expiry of permitted flying hours, it was 1967 before NX611 flew again, but even then public appearances were brief because of prohibitive costs.
    She was flown to Lavenham in Suffolk and, a few years later, in 1972, was put up for auction at 'Squires Gate', Blackpool.

Nick

This is the same plane that the late Leonard Cheshire of 617 squadron was once allowed to taxi around the perimeter of an airfield in the 70's. He managed to put a wheel off the runway and it sank in some mud - damaging the undercarriage in the process. The then owner of the plane was sat alongside him, and later commented that only for that mishap, he was sure that Cheshire was going to try and get off the ground!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    This is the same plane that the late Leonard Cheshire of 617 squadron was once allowed to taxi around the perimeter of an airfield in the 70's. He managed to put a wheel off the runway and it sank in some mud - damaging the undercarriage in the process. The then owner of the plane was sat alongside him, and later commented that only for that mishap, he was sure that Cheshire was going to try and get off the ground!
    Awesome! I didnt know that Harry !

Nick

Oh yeh,knew I've been off too long with a dodgy hand,next question is this a differant plane to the City of Lincoin?at least its the same model,thats what i meant to say in the first place...........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast