Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Leather Flying Helmet

Article about: Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows what this helmet might be. I had a look in Mick Prodger's book and couldn't find it anywhere. It has a blue flannel lining similar to that used on

Default Leather Flying Helmet

Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone knows what this helmet might be.
    I had a look in Mick Prodger's book and couldn't find it anywhere. It has a blue flannel lining similar to that used on a lot of Soviet gear.

My best guess is that it might be a post war Soviet training/glider helmet. It has no tag inside, just some inked on numbers

Leather Flying Helmet

This wartime Soviet photo is the closest to it that I can find, but the ear flap looks a lot wider.

Leather Flying Helmet

Cheers, Willie.

I think this is an aftermarket clone and used in the late 40-50s for motorcycles and convertibles. Danny

Quote by ssg keay View Post
    I think this is an aftermarket clone and used in the late 40-50s for motorcycles and convertibles. Danny
    Thanks, Danny. Looking at the photos of it, I think you're right. The seller was listing it as WW2 German which it obviously isn't. I thought it was post war Soviet because of the blue flannel lining, but there's no photos showing one in aviation use.

Cheers, Willie.

You see a load of these on German ebay and I have a large collection of WW2 aviation gear, so I am pretty sure that is a faker. Alas, almost everyone tries to sell their piece of Junk as original WW2 as that alone brings in more cash. Danny

Willie, I did a bit of research and don't want to discourage you, but it is most likely not German (I am 100% sure, but then again, I do not know everything), as the Germans tend to slap labels in most anything. The photo you attached looks like the closest match and the thing about Soviet equipment is that if it was produced by different factories there could be some deviations. That said, it could be a clone made post war anywhere east of the German border. Hell, I was in Poland a while back and saw them sell a German WW2 medal that never existed...lol. Danny

Thanks, Danny. I thought it looked suspect from the start so didn't bid on it. The seller said it was sold to him some time back as a German helmet. My only interest in it was as a Russian helmet, sparked by the blue flannel lining. It's the same lining used in Russian flight suits, some leather helmets, hard shell helmet covers etc..

But something in the back of my head was telling me it wasn't a usual flight helmet for military use. The most logical explanation would be your suggestion of aftermarket production for motorcycle use, or glider and sports pilots.

Cheers, Willie.

Anytime mate
    So what is your field of collecting?

Mainly post war to present day Soviet/Russian flight gear is the main interest. I used to collect a bit of Vietnam era USN aviator's gear, but have slowed down on that a bit.

Cheers, Willie.