Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lockheed Factory USA Camouflage

Article about: I was going to ad to lithgows comments. I had read that MGM Grand Studios was used to help design the camo for the plant. They used their set experience to figure weight and dimensions. The

Default Lockheed Factory USA Camouflage

Hi all,

I've just been emailed these pictures from my cousin in Canada.

They're of the Lockheed Burbank Aircraft Plant in America during the war. They camouflaged the whole site in fear of a Japanese bombing raid! It looks amazing!!

The first picture is of the site BEFORE the camo went up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lockheed Factory USA Camouflage   Lockheed Factory USA Camouflage  

Lockheed Factory USA Camouflage   Lockheed Factory USA Camouflage  

Default Re: Lockheed Factory USA Camouflage

Thanks to show this pictures Woody...
    they are amazing, really effective camouflage...they put even trees on the top!!
    look at the gardener!

Davide

Quote by drago1983 View Post
    Thanks to show this pictures Woody...
    they are amazing, really effective camouflage...they put even trees on the top!!
    look at the gardener!

Davide
    Not a problem mate!

It looks amazing doesn't it. Notice the 'cottages' in the second picture.... they're actually the top floor of some of the buildings!!

Absolute genius!

Quote by WoodyUK View Post
    Not a problem mate!

It looks amazing doesn't it. Notice the 'cottages' in the second picture.... they're actually the top floor of some of the buildings!!

Absolute genius!
    Yes, totally!
    and also the gently slopes to broken the lines of the buildings...
    absolutely impossible to spot from the air...also if you know there is something there!

Davide

i agree ! totally amazing ! thank for the pic !!

Pierre

Man, Can you imagine the effort that took to construct and maintain? - Neat images.

DJ

This is truly incredible. There is so much history like this from the home front that has either been forgotten or overlooked by us today.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

My partner's dad was a kid in North Hollywood during WW2. He says he and his friends would ride their bicycles down to what is now Lankershim Blvd. Back then it was the Lockheed test range. They would watch the strafing runs of the P38's while eating their sack lunches.

I wonder how much UXO is buried underneath the streets and buildings of North Hollywood?

Very cool pictures! My grandfather told me about working there during the war (I posted a post war picture of part of the factory in another thread) and can well imagine his car parked in that lot!

Cheers
    Gary

Interesting pictures-it's very true that the widespread use of deceptive camouflage during the 2nd world war is often forgotten-the only book/movie I can think of that uses it as a major plot point is 'The Eye of the Needle' (1981)-Patton's phantom invasion army in Britain 1944. I do remember seeing a documentary on TV many years ago showing how Hollywood had helped with camouflaging large aircraft assembly halls by building miniature landscapes/towns on the roof with such features as moving model cars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast