Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF

Article about: Lt Byron Bilderback wore this uniform while serving with the 27th Aero Squadron in France, 1918. Lt. Bilderback received his aviation training at Foggia, Italy and upon completion was shippe

Default Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF

Lt Byron Bilderback wore this uniform while serving with the 27th Aero Squadron in France, 1918. Lt. Bilderback received his aviation training at Foggia, Italy and upon completion was shipped to France where he was eventually assigned to the 27th Aero. On his tunic he sports a bullion (British manufacture) wing and ribbon bars for the Italian War Medal and US WW1 Victory medal. On the lapel is a british style wing and prop and opposite lapel a US. The second wing is an Italian manufactured wing and still retains the Piza Italy tag on the back. He is wearing this wing in the picture. He was partial to the british open collar style uniform which was worn by a number of US aviators during the war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF   Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF  

Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF   Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF  

Default Re: Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF

What an absolute treat to see this here. I remember the first time I saw this in your book, I was in awe.

There is something about seeing an item today and being able to see a period photograph of the exact item in use with nothing changed. It may sound a little corny, but when I see things like this, knowing what these men accomplished, it sends a chill down my spine. Thank you for sharing this rarity Major!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    What an absolute treat to see this here. I remember the first time I saw this in your book, I was in awe.

There is something about seeing an item today and being able to see a period photograph of the exact item in use with nothing changed. It may sound a little corny, but when I see things like this, knowing what these men accomplished, it sends a chill down my spine. Thank you for sharing this rarity Major!

Steven,

Thanks, I know what you mean. I felt the same looking at those magnificant groups you have posted. Will try to post a couple more over the next few days. Have to pull a float full of munckins for our local Cath school in the Christmas parade tomorrow so will be sometime after that. This forum gives me the opportunity to share this bit of history with those who can appreciate it, otherwise it would just set in my room gathering dust.

Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steven,

Thanks, I know what you mean. I felt the same looking at those magnificant groups you have posted. Will try to post a couple more over the next few days. Have to pull a float full of munckins for our local Cath school in the Christmas parade tomorrow so will be sometime after that. This forum gives me the opportunity to share this bit of history with those who can appreciate it, otherwise it would just set in my room gathering dust.

Terry
    Fantastic, and I look forward to seeing more. I too get a real thrill out of sharing this history with the rest of the world. Have fun in the parade.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Just came across this site last week and have been enjoying the great material. I'm a diary collector and will attempt to share some items when I get some time.

One of my diaries, pilot Eugene McCubbin, is from the 27th aero squadron as well. He makes mention of Bilderback on at least one occasion (see Nov. 4 entry):

Rob M.
    **(Diary Collector)**

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF   Lt Byron Bilderback 27th Aero Squadron AEF  

Quote by ramram View Post
    Just came across this site last week and have been enjoying the great material. I'm a diary collector and will attempt to share some items when I get some time.

One of my diaries, pilot Eugene McCubbin, is from the 27th aero squadron as well. He makes mention of Bilderback on at least one occasion (see Nov. 4 entry):

Rob M.
    **(Diary Collector)**

Rob, very interesting, I also love the paper work unfortunately the only diary I have is a Sgt from the Span Am war. I have his complete uniform and diary. That reference to Bilderback on entry 4 would have been on Nov 5th, at Montfaucon. Would love to see more when you get a chance. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Isn't it amazing that nearly 100 years later, two members on this forum each have something in reference to the same person...this is the type of thing that "keeps me coming back".

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Isn't it amazing that nearly 100 years later, two members on this forum each have something in reference to the same person...this is the type of thing that "keeps me coming back".
    Steve,
    It turns out to be a small world when one associates themselves with the few pilots that flew in France during WW1. Years after I obtained the Riable group, I was at a gun show in Atlanta and laying on a table was a picture of four aviators, one French, two US Navy and one US Army. Low and behold the army pilot was Lt. Riable. It now hangs on the wall with the rest of his stuff. I thought the same thing back then, whats the odds of a picture of him showing up 80 years later at the same time that the owner of his estate walked by. In another instance I received an e-mail one day a couple months ago in which a deidcated collector had seen a uniform in my book and he had the guys id tags and goggles. Those items have also returned home to be with the group. There were only a few (around 2400) pilots that actually were assigned to combat units, and a lot of those were assigned in the last couple weeks of the war and saw no combat. There was a lot of comradship between those early pilots and their paths crossed on more than one occasion.

Terry

Terry

?

Thanks Terry. *Will enjoy sharing more when I get a chance. I started collecting Civil War diaries about 15 years ago before more recently gravitating to WWII diaries and now WWI. I REALLY enjoy the aviator diaries (hint, hint to all!) but those are few and far between. I'm also still quite the novice on much of the WWI history (but learning).*

Rob

Terry-
    That is a stunning piece of WWI Air Service history. I know someone who's looking for material relating to the 27th Aero Squadron for an upcoming Over The Front article. May I put you in touch with him? Let me know & I'll send you a PM with his contact info. Deadline for editing that issue is the beginning of March so time is of the essence.

-Chuck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast