Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills

Article about: by BEAST Terry, I just saw this thread, not sure how I missed it! Another amazing group. I am appreciative (and envious) of the work that you have put in preserving the history of these earl

Default Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills

Lt. Joseph Raible was credited with two confirmed kills while flying with the 148th Aero Squadron. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Croix de Guerre and Victory Medal. Attached pictures include his uniform, pictures of him during the war, his medals to include his Scottie Dog squadron insignia and Aero Club of America medalion. DSC numbered #798. Also pictured is his DSC Certificate. Collar insignia US and Wing and Prop are both JR Gaunt mfg. 1st Army patch with roundel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills   Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills  

Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills   Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills  

Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills   Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills  

Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills  
    Attached Images Attached Images Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills 

Default Re: Lt Joseph Raible DSC, 148th Aero Squadron 2 Confirmed Kills

Thank you for sharing this Major. I am very happy to see such a rarity in caring hands. The aviation section on this forum is becoming a superb visual online reference for those of us who love the history of these early aviators. This is magnificent beyond words...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Hawk great uniform and medals. Gary

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Thank you for sharing this Major. I am very happy to see such a rarity in caring hands. The aviation section on this forum is becoming a superb visual online reference for those of us who love the history of these early aviators. This is magnificent beyond words...

Steve,
    Thanks, I hope that I have not bored to death those members of the forum interested in early aviation by dumping all this stuff on the site over the past few days. I have a couple more minor items to share then I will give you guys a break.

You are right about the aviation section grabbing hold. You have done a magnificant job getting it set up and off and running. So much useful information has become available for the young upcoming collectors that will assist them tremendously in their endeavors. My hats off to you for all your efforts.

Terry

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Hawk great uniform and medals. Gary

Gary,
    Thanks for the kind comments. The uniform is great but think of the Pilot that wore it. Those guys were beyond great. One can not even emagine what they went through in those early days of aviation. I doubt they even had a clue that they were making history everytime they lifted off the ground. Just another days adventure for many of them.

I recall an incident in my own aviation career. A number of years ago I was visiting the Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker, Alabama. I was looking at an A Model Huey and remembering how magnificant that aircraft was when I first flew it. It was like going from a Moped to a 280 Mustang for us. I had never felt such power and command of the skys while flying it. There were a bunch of WOC's (Warrant Officer Candidates) that came up behind me and I heard one of them comment "Can you imagine that people used to fly those crates". It was at that moment that I felt somewhat old but at the same time realized that we all contribute to history without even knowing it and remembered that it was just "another days adventure for me".

Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    Thanks, I hope that I have not bored to death those members of the forum interested in early aviation by dumping all this stuff on the site over the past few days. I have a couple more minor items to share then I will give you guys a break.

You are right about the aviation section grabbing hold. You have done a magnificant job getting it set up and off and running. So much useful information has become available for the young upcoming collectors that will assist them tremendously in their endeavors. My hats off to you for all your efforts.

Terry
    Major,

First, I would like to say that I am humbled by your compliments about the forum progress; that means more to me coming from you than I can say. However, without the generosity of contributions by fine men like yourself, I would be whistling Dixie all by my loneseome here.

About the "bored" part...I say that if anyone gets bored seeing history of this caliber, then they probably would be better off collecting beanie babies or some other insignificant item. The postings that you have made here in the last week or so will actually find their way onto search engines and increase the chances for others surfing the web to find this forum so we can see what else is out there amongst other collectors.

I am not exaggerating when I say that many a night before I have fallen asleep, I have read, re-read and looked through the photos in your book innumerable times, drooling over what I saw. To actually see them here on this forum, and in the section that I am fortunate enough to moderate...well, "it don't get much better than that".
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Terry, I very much agrre with Steven's coments. You can "bore" me all day with this kind of quality. Having the uniforms is nice, but to have the reasearch behind the men concerned is priceless.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Terry, I very much agrre with Steven's coments. You can "bore" me all day with this kind of quality. Having the uniforms is nice, but to have the reasearch behind the men concerned is priceless.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,
    Thanks appreciate the kind comments. Have a very Merry Christmas.
    Terry

bumping this back up. Great shot of the embroidered one piece "A" with roundel in it. We keep seeing these pop up on ebay, esspecially with squadron insignia in them. A good look at this patch shows what a real one looks like compared to all the others we have posted.

Thank you for showing off this uniform Terry!

?

Terry,
    I just saw this thread, not sure how I missed it! Another amazing group. I am appreciative (and envious) of the work that you have put in preserving the history of these early aviators. Just fantastic!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast