Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO

Article about: Nice one Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO

Nice one

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks again Erick for all the work that you put into this posting. It certainly deserves more comments than have already been offered in my opinion...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Thanks again Erick for all the work that you put into this posting. It certainly deserves more comments than have already been offered in my opinion...
    Thanks Steve! I really enjoy the personal insights that letters provide. With emails and text messaging, I think future generations will be deprived of this when they study OIF/OEF.

?

I am scanning some of the letters from Hasselman's time with the 88th Aero Squadron and found one that I thought you folks might find interesting. He meets a fellow Hoosier by the name of John Jordan who is also assigned as an observer to the 88th Aero Squadron. The following is a description of an action that Jordan was involved in.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO   LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO  

?

Jordan was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for this action. Here is part of his citation:

"Carried out a hazardous photographic mission over the enemy's lines (River Aisne). He was attacked by twelve enemy battle planes. In spite of wounds in the shoulder & leg he manned the machine guns enabling them to secure 36 valuable photographs"

He received credit for the following campaigns:
    Wounded Fismes. Battles: Champagne-Marne, Aisne-Marne, Oise-Aisne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Chateau-Thierry

Erick-
    I enjoyed reading that letter. Thank you for taking the time to scan it for us.

Do you happen to know which 88th AS ship(s) he flew? I have a large photo album belonging to a 166th AS mechanic. Coincidentally, their are a handful of 88th AS pics within the pages...

-Chuck

?

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Erick-
    I enjoyed reading that letter. Thank you for taking the time to scan it for us.

Do you happen to know which 88th AS ship(s) he flew? I have a large photo album belonging to a 166th AS mechanic. Coincidentally, their are a handful of 88th AS pics within the pages...

-Chuck
    Chuck, My apologies for taking so long to respond! I don't know the the number of the aircraft in whuich he flew. Are your photos of individuals or of the aircraft?

?

It has taken me over a year, but I was able to finally find his place of burial. I will be "adopting" his grave and will decorate it on Veteran's Day.

LT VICTOR M. HASSELMAN-88th AERO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2