Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe Trivia.

Article about: i`m hearing ya !!!!!!!!!!

Default Luftwaffe Trivia.

What is the name of the Luftwaffe's Leading ace of WW2, how many kills did he have, and what Happened to him at the end of the war?

Default Re: Luftwaffe Trivia.

Eric Hartmann With 352 confimed kills the top ace of all time. POW in Russia until the mid 50's then joined the new West German Luftwaffe.

Cheers, Ade.

Erich Alfred "Bubi" Hartmann ??

Didn't he and Adolf Galland have like an aerobatics team some years after the war ? I think he spent a while in Russian gulags if i remember rightly. 352 kills or something close

Steve T

NO WAY !!!!!!!!!! I was writing that and ADE got in before me....AGAIN !

.......................... BAH

WoW!!!! That didn't take long!!!! Ade and Steve, You are both right.

Stuka tank buster ace, Hans Ulrich Rudel. The only holder of the RK with oakleaves swords and diamonds in gold.

At the end of the war Hartmann had the knights cross w/ oakleaves, swords, and diamonds.

So Ade beat me to it again......BAH !

In which case i'll just have to out-do him on pure FACTS........

The Knights Cross with golden oak leaves swords and diamonds is the highest medal awarded by Germany in WW2.

It was supposed to be awarded after the end of World War 2 to Germany's 12 greatest war heroes, but Adolf Hitler felt that the continuous outstanding achievements and heroism of Germany's greatest war hero, dive bomber ace Hans Ulrich Rudel, were such that he deserved to receive this award sooner, so in January 1945 Rudel became the only recipient of this highest medal.

Rudel's war record is simply amazing in any scale. Like some other great war heroes, he had a very late start. He began the war as a reconnaissance pilot and was training to convert to a dive bomber pilot during the invasion of France. His warrior career finally began with the invasion of Russia in June 1941, and he served in the Russian front until the end of the war, except for short periods in Germany as instructor and test pilot.

In the next four years he flew a total of 2530 combat sorties in which he destroyed 519 Russian tanks, 150 artillery guns, 1000 vehicles, a battleship, two cruisers, a destroyer, 70 landing craft, and also shot down 11 aircraft. He was shot down 30 times, lost a leg, which didn't stop him at all, and performed numerous acts of sacrifice and heroism. Rudel had the rare combination of great warrior skills and tons of luck, and years of intense daily fighting to fully exploit them, which is how he reached such an amazing record for which he became the highest decorated German war hero.

TAKE THAT ADE !

Steve T

I was waiting for you to reply

Cheers, Ade.

?

This is a good book for all the details.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Trivia.  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast