Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Article about: As my first posting in the newly created Aviation Forum, I would like to introduce you all to Major Harry L. Wingate. This grouping highlights the contribution of the unsung heroes of WWI av

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

Transfer of Air Service Property document dated April 18, 1919.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France

This document could possibly...possibly lead to my finding a Purple Heart Medal one day if he made application for one and it still survives. This is the document awarding Major Wingate the Meritorious Service Certificate July 1, 1919, and therefore (for a brief time) made him eligible for the PH in 1932.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1, 3rd. Aviation Instruction Center, Issoudun, France  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I think this may be an insert from his funeral, although I am not 100% on that.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Special Order No. 314, which assigned the Major to post-war service at the School Staff. The orders are dated November 13, 1918.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is his original AEF Pilot Identity Card.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is the photo side of the identity card carried in the leather Air Service wallet shown in the post following the ID cards. These are somewhat fragile, so they will remain on display outside of the wallet.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

And this would be positioned on the left side of the wallet shown below when opened.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The wallet is in beautiful condition.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Now on to the photos. In addition to some family shots, there are two that feature General of the Armies Pershing.

"Cadet Harry L. Wingate" on reverse. Clowning around.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A family photo. Harry (Maj. Wingate) is on the left.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast