Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help with Ju-52 unit marking

Article about: I recently bought this picture, can anyone identify the unit marking?

Default Re: Need help with Ju-52 unit marking

Good work Vegar

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Nick, but the search has just begun. I want to find out exactly which plane it is(Maybe I might even find something
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Here's an interesting link:

WINGS PALETTE - Junkers Ju.52 - Germany (Nazi)

Click the first profile for this unit.

The second link is really interesting: database of JU-52 accidents. Your aircraft might be in there somewhere.

Aviation Safety Network > ASN Aviation Safety WikiBase > ASN Aviation Safety Database results

Regards

Martin

Thank you Martin, but look in post 10.

Here are all the transport plane losses in Norway during WW2, I am hoping the plane is somewhere in here:
    Luftwaffe Loss Register - Part 5 Transports
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Dave, I know where you are coming from regarding the playing card emblem and it is similar in general design, but a Fighter Squadron emblem on a Ju52?

Cheers, Ade.
    OOPS, Too much cafeinne, not enough sleep, thousand yard stare at screen :-)

Update:

I spoke to the owner of this website and he confirms the picture is of one of the aircrafts that were destroyed in the following action:

April 13 April 1940:
    A force of 13 Ju 52's were on their way to lake Hartvigvann with troops, four cannons and supplies. Eleven of them managed to land on the ice at Hartvigvann, but these two got lost in the snowstorm and made a forced landing on the ice at Gullesfjordbotn. One of them crashed during the landing.

At 07.30 the next morning they were attacked by three Norwegian He 115 of 3. Flyveavdeling, based at Stokmarknes. Both Junkers that made the forced landings were shot up on the ice, one of them burned heavily. Both planes sank to the bottom when the ice melted.

I have made out a list to sort out which plane it was.

Attached is also a picture of one of the aircrafts which was recovered.

Ju 52 Gullesfjorden

Ju.52 Hartvigvann
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

Umm, I just found this:
    Fliegerhorst Banak - Ju52 - Hartvigvannet - BILDER TATT AV TYSKE SOLDATER I NORGE 1940 - 1945

It is the exact same picture, but he does not have the watermark on... Which means he either has it in posession, or he has gotten a copy somewhere.

However, the person I have bought from(Gamsdivision1944) is a very trusted seller, I have bought from him many many times, and I know a lot of people who have also bought from him who have not had any problems...

What do you guys think?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

Update, yet again:
    I have not yet gotten the picture, but I have made an interesting discovery:

I am quite positive that I have found the plane in the picture:

Pilot:Lt. Heinz Fontanas
    DB+RD
    WNr.6693 (salvaged 1986)
    Unit: K.Gr.zbV 102

The story behind:

April 12 1940: 13 Ju-52 transport planes from K.Gr.zbV 102 take off from Tempelhof airport to transport members and equipment of the 2./A.R.112 Gebirgsbatterie. On board were 4x 120 mm cannons, 60 men and officers and their equipment.

They landed at Fornebu airport, Oslo at 12:40 and took off at 13:45. Because of bad weather, two aircraft got lost and made a forced landing elsewhere on the ice.

The rest landed on the ice on Hartvigvatnet, it was a catastrophe. There was a 70 cm thick layer of snow on the ice, five aircraft went nose first, 2 were badly damaged, 3 landed elsewhere and 1 was intact.

The aircraft landings were reported and on the 14th april 7:30, 3 Norwegian Heinkel 115 planes bombed the planes on the ice. Later that day, Norwegian Fokker planes attacked again.
    On the 15th a plane was sent out to take pictures of the effects of the attack, and they notice that the Germans are trying to make a runway on the ice. Later that day, nine Fairey Swordfish planes from the British aircraft carrier HMS Furious, they dropped 35 small bombs with less than 4 confirmed hits.

On the night of the 16th, Norwegian Fokker planes attacked for the last time.

One Ju-52 manages to get off the ice, but the rest sink when the ice melts.

Best Regards

Vegard T.

Update!

I got the picture today, and I am convinced I have the original, and to my suprise, there was writing on the back! Can anyone translate? I know a bit of German, but I can't read the handwriting.

And after looking a bit closer, I have come to the conclusion that I have found the right plane(Compare with the last picture, left engine is raised in both, same damage etc).

Best Regards

Vegard T.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2