Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New WWII Action Film in remembrance of those lost

Article about: Hi my first post and I need help! We are making a WWII Action short film (hopefully leading to a full feature). What's it about. Bill 'Paddy' McCrea's first tour and a fateful flight in J-Ji

Doug Kirby
    ?

Default New WWII Action Film in remembrance of those lost

Hi my first post and I need help!

We are making a WWII Action short film (hopefully leading to a full feature).

What's it about.

Bill 'Paddy' McCrea's first tour and a fateful flight in J-Jig a borrowed scrapper of an Avro Lancaster, on a raid on Dortmund.
    Having dropped below and behind their stream, they go in with Halifaxes and stick out like a saw thumb, their 4 Merlins on Full thrust just to keep up.
    A Messerschmitt picks them up and strafes them 3 times, while their bombs are primed and still aboard.
    Who is still alive? can Paddy nurse the old girl home?
    Based on the book A Chequer-Board of Nights

We need you help.

How?

Well Publicity, spread the word for us.

Facebook

Buy rewards or publicise our crowd-funding site on Kickstarter

From a poster to a part in the film a copy of the DVD to a night at the premier!.

Please spread the word, thank you.

?

That would be an individual endeavor.
    Not knowing who you are or what you represent other than a film short that you mention I wouldn't think our forum would publically endorse any private endeavor by unknown individuals.
    Raising money for an unknown film maker asking for public donations is not how professionals do it.
    I have been involved in professional stage plays and am aware of that type of artistic endeavor. You don't do it by asking for public donations. If that is you base for funding I believe that it would be a piss poor film at best. A good story doesn't make for a good film.
    You might see if you have A National Arts Council. Acknowledged Artistic funding sources are what you should seek.
    Fly by night films are very rarely worth the effort and certainly not worth donating to.
    Where have you studied film making at and what are your references ?

Sounds great! I have just liked your Facebook page

Good luck

Nick

?

Just for info, Doug approached Ade before posting this thread and was given the go ahead.

This isn't a Hollywood blockbuster with an A list of who's who in Beverley Hills so Brad Pitt body doubles need not reply.

I wish the endeavour every success.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Doug did ask permission to post this thread with me via PM before he posted. I told him it would be fine.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Sounds great! I have just liked your Facebook page

Good luck

Nick
    X2!...

?

If any wish to donate to a students film project that is their business.
    I can tell you right now the lure of a bit part in an unknown student film maker's project is not a good reason to donate money nor will it make you a film star. I have seen projects like this many times. The best intentions, no experience, lots of smiles, hand shakes and pats on the back does not make for a successful project.
    Why haven't they applied for a grant to whatever National Art Council that is available over there? A real film project takes about 3 years to put together and NOTHING is rushed about it.

A close friend JR Mathews received a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts for $800.000 in the late 70s and produced a play, starring David Carradine and Will Sampson, the big Indian in "one flew over the cookoo's nest", Ten Bears, in Clint Eastwood's western "The Outlaw Josey Wales", that appeared all around the USA. I knew Will Sampson and many other American Indian Actors. I am not blowing smoke guys I know what I am talking about. I have been involved with the Arts since the early 1970s. Especially American Indian arts.
    I can tell you folks that a name credit at the end of the credits list on any film isn't worth a cup of cold pi$$. NOBODY READS THEM. By the way if you don't get paid for your work you are a moron.
    I am including a picture of Will so that you might remember him. We got drunk at a bar in Tulsa during this period. He was a rodeo cowboy and Indian fine artist before becoming an actor.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New WWII Action Film in remembrance of those lost  

?

Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck in your endevour.

Fantastic painting on your fb page of the Avro Lanc bombing Berlin!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New WWII Action Film in remembrance of those lost  

Quote by Scout View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck in your endevour.

Fantastic painting on your fb page of the Avro Lanc bombing Berlin!!!
    Agreed!!!
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Doug Kirby
    ?

Thank you Steve for at least taking the time to respond, and I empathise with your experiences.
    Yes I am relatively unknown, though not a student (my imbd is out of date but it's there). We are not profit share as we are honest we have no funding except 50% of the budget from the producers (inc .me), the cost of hiring locations and props , from Museums and from collectors means all crew and cast (only 3 students in the team) are doing so for experience, the credit (career not end titles) and belief in the project, the author gave us the rights with the proviso if e get the feature made (this short helps us approach big producers) some profits go to the Bomber Command Memorial fund, there will be no profit to share.
    Crowd funding is a legitimate form of funding used by professionals.
    Regrettably many forms of Art now have to crowd fund, even big names like musicians (Buy the album before its cut!) Prince/Radio Head and Film Directors like Ken Loach, even the British National Ballet!
    Greed in the 'professional' industry (Artists and studios) and piracy (downloading/sharing) has created this.
    Grants have been applied for but recent cuts have restricted what is available and we do not fit where the funding is, we are still trying for Grants and sponsorship but that would only ever cover in part the budget. (The Kings Speech - Oscar nominated and winning, Grants, & Crowd funded!)
    I am sorry you had a bad experience with students (I've been there too), we are ensuring on our project that we are open an honest about what we are doing, as a little research should show and as we progress will become even more apparent.

Thank you for your time again and to all those who have supported by sharing, posting and especially buying rewards.