Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

OPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator Jacket

Article about: Hi: Can I ask you guys a opinion on this Jacket. It looks good, but I would like a second opinion. Cheers Luis

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Jerry, thats interesting, do you know what year?
    Douglas, I have tried to work out the letter codes for the post war period but have so far failed to make sense of them. However, the letter codes for the 1939 to 1945 period are well known. R = 39, Q = 40, P = 41, O = 42, N = 43, M = 44, and L = 45, though Z is also used for 45.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten all about this but will take note of those codes.

No, C broad Arrow means Canadian made, not post war. It is a wartime jacket but the insignia is not post war applied IMO, the chevrons are possible post 1948 based on the size, and sweep of them. The N wing is a modern repro and the ribbon bar is likely post war too, not really an issue but something to consider. typically there is a garment label in OR's stuff giving details on the maker, date, sizing etc. this is absent, not alarming but worth knowing. For the same money you can do better. The shoulder eagle indicate RAF use, there was a lot of shared stocks, the placement is a bit wonky. My impression is that it was a clean wartime jacket, dressed up post war, maybe for those who like to play dress up at military shows.

If you want bona fide wartime, spend a bit more and buy something from a dealer who knows their material or know your stuff and watch ebay

Quote by asterperious View Post
    No, C broad Arrow means Canadian made, not post war. It is a wartime jacket but the insignia is not post war applied IMO, the chevrons are possible post 1948 based on the size, and sweep of them. The N wing is a modern repro and the ribbon bar is likely post war too, not really an issue but something to consider. typically there is a garment label in OR's stuff giving details on the maker, date, sizing etc. this is absent, not alarming but worth knowing. For the same money you can do better. The shoulder eagle indicate RAF use, there was a lot of shared stocks, the placement is a bit wonky. My impression is that it was a clean wartime jacket, dressed up post war, maybe for those who like to play dress up at military shows.

If you want bona fide wartime, spend a bit more and buy something from a dealer who knows their material or know your stuff and watch ebay
    Sorry but you are wrong, the C with an arrow in it for Canadian accepted items is completely different to the C over arrow with WD either side of the arrow that is shown in this thread in post #2, which is the British acceptance mark.

The Canadian mark is that shown below.
    Attached Images Attached Images OPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator Jacket  OPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator Jacket 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yes, Jerry is right about this, the c is certainly a date code.

mea Culpa - yes jerry is Correct, I stand down, I was replying form my phone which did not show the contrast detail.

I can tell you that my 1951 dated RAF tunic has the identical 'C' and 921 stamp to your example.

Hmm, there was a uniform re work in 1948 that saw a lot of changes to working dress, button spacing etc. 1951 as C would be 3 years after that, C is the third letter in the Alphabet, perhaps the date code is similar to the car number plate cycles?

Hi,

Very sad about the news in this thread... I feel defrauded... what´s the real value of this jacket??

Anyway here´s some more photos, some comments on the insignia please...

OPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator JacketOPINIONS on a RAF Sgt Navigator Jacket

Just one more thing (sorry to bother) how much should a 39-45 jacket like this one cost???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast