Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Painted Helmets

Article about: by hawk3370 Chris, Here is another one you might like. Its a 2nd Balloon Company Group. Terry Terry, That is just magnificent! Did the uniform and hemet come together or did you pair them fo

Default Painted Helmets

I know that many of the US Squadrons sent overseas painted helmets just like the regular army doughboy's did. Scott Kraska has had several nice ones on his site in the past few years. Does anyone have Aero/Balloon squadron painted helmets in their collection?

I have one, Helmet of a Mechanic in the 248th Aero Squadron (observation flying the Salmson 2A2)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Painted Helmets  

Default Re: Painted Helmets

Chris,
    Attached are pic of Sgt Walter X. Spellman, 11th Balloon Co, Balloon Section AEF. His helmet does not have a squadron insignia but is adorned with machine guns, signal flags and three possibly "Shells" that were scratched into the front of the helmet.

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Chris,
    Attached are pic of Sgt Walter X. Spellman, 11th Balloon Co, Balloon Section AEF. His helmet does not have a squadron insignia but is adorned with machine guns, signal flags and three possibly "Shells" that were scratched into the front of the helmet.
    Pictures didn't load first time. Will try again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Painted Helmets   Painted Helmets  

Now that is a magnificent helmet!! Thank you for posting that one! AMAZING patch too!

?

Great looking helmets guys, let's see more!

Here is one that I picked up from Bay State. Worn by Bowman Liska who served with the 825th Aero Squadron. Notice the face of a clock with the hands pointing to the 8 & 5.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Painted Helmets   Painted Helmets  

Painted Helmets  

?

This helmet is on display at the Frontier of FLight museum in Dallas, Texas. Worn by a member of the 9th Balloon Company.

Painted Helmets  

Quote by Chris L View Post
    I know that many of the US Squadrons sent overseas painted helmets just like the regular army doughboy's did. Scott Kraska has had several nice ones on his site in the past few years. Does anyone have Aero/Balloon squadron painted helmets in their collection?

I have one, Helmet of a Mechanic in the 248th Aero Squadron (observation flying the Salmson 2A2)
    Chris,
    Wonderful helmet, exceptionally rare I might add.
    Terry

Quote by Chris L View Post
    Now that is a magnificent helmet!! Thank you for posting that one! AMAZING patch too!
    Chris,
    Here is another one you might like. Its a 2nd Balloon Company Group.
    Terry

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Great looking helmets guys, let's see more!

Here is one that I picked up from Bay State. Worn by Bowman Liska who served with the 825th Aero Squadron. Notice the face of a clock with the hands pointing to the 8 & 5.
    Beast,
    Beautiful helmet. I have seen a couple examples of this patch but never a painted helmet from the 825th. Very nice indeed.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Terry

Quote by BEAST View Post
    This helmet is on display at the Frontier of FLight museum in Dallas, Texas. Worn by a member of the 9th Balloon Company.

That is one beautiful helmet. Very unique.
    Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast