Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Painted Helmets

Article about: by hawk3370 Chris, Here is another one you might like. Its a 2nd Balloon Company Group. Terry Terry, That is just magnificent! Did the uniform and hemet come together or did you pair them fo

?

Default Re: Painted Helmets

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Chris,
    Here is another one you might like. Its a 2nd Balloon Company Group.
    Terry
    Terry, That is just magnificent! Did the uniform and hemet come together or did you pair them for the photo? I really like seeing the helmet insignia alonside the matching uniform SSI.

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Terry, That is just magnificent! Did the uniform and hemet come together or did you pair them for the photo? I really like seeing the helmet insignia alonside the matching uniform SSI.

Beast,

Yes they are a group from the same soldier. Somewhere I have a picture of the 2nd Balloon Co marching through NewPort News, VA upon their return from France in 1919. In the pic a number of men were wearing similar helmets and patches. I suspect that they did this on the boat on the way home or while waiting to ship out from Europe at the end of the war. Unfortunately this group does not belong to me but an aquaintence.

Terry

Thank you for the posts guys. These are a sight to behold.

Great posting gentlemen. Though jealousy is not part of my character...you all are not helping me maintain that positive trait.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by BEAST View Post

Beast,
    Not aviation related, but thought you might like this one as well. Belonged to Captain Walter Bragg Smith. I have his enlisted 1902 tunic and campaign hat from the Mexican Border campaign and his WW1 Captains tunic, helmet and medals.
    Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Painted Helmets  

Very nice shell pattern! What date would you give helmets like this? I have seen several, and usually consider them done "on the boat" on the way back...but that is speculation on my part. I know guys painted their helmets while still on occupation duty, but did they do the tortoise patter while in Europe?

You dont happen to have a 32nd painted do you

Quote by Chris L View Post
    Very nice shell pattern! What date would you give helmets like this? I have seen several, and usually consider them done "on the boat" on the way back...but that is speculation on my part. I know guys painted their helmets while still on occupation duty, but did they do the tortoise patter while in Europe?

You dont happen to have a 32nd painted do you
    Chris,
    Don't have a 32nd helmet. I don't collect helmets per say, just when they come as part of the group. I have never seen any pictures of WW1 painted helmets in the trenches. I know that most of the patches were made while enroute home or while setting around at the embarkation point awaiting your transport. I was told by one vet that the local french ladies had a business set up making patches for units as they were getting ready to come back to the states. And another vet told me that men in his unit made their own on the boat coming home. I suspect that the helmets fall into the same catagory.
    Terry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2